190 messages Options
1 ... 345678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TransAmerica Trail -TAT

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Missed that. So that’s a speaker. Ok. It would work, but doesn’t the President Bill have it’s own speaker?  Or was that another one I looked at?  One with its ow. Would be good.

As for the Bearcat being newer, I guess that shows what I know about CB’s.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Bill has a speaker. If you mount it overhead it’ll be pointing down at you.

It’s a small speaker but I haven’t had any problems hearing it. And it has an external speaker plug you could plug into your stereo if it has an aux port. The Bearcat should have an external speaker plug too.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm thinking that mounting the CB overhead, like the top unit here, would work.  Perforate the ABS where the speaker is and just go with it.

Which one of us is installing one of these?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is Rob, and he's installing it on Eddy Myrtle.

So Rob, can you provide us with more pics than this one?  And answer a zillion questions?  Like:

How does a radio mount in the top?

Is there a way through it to get an antenna lead to the rear where the bed light goes through the roof?  I wondered about taking the antenna lead through there.

Does it cover the factory dome light?

What is the bump above the driver?  Is it for switches?  Or?

How do the sun visors work?

How do you like it?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
........Which one of us is installing one of these?.....
I thought you are? So far you and me are the only two for sure going on this trip.

That is a really nice headliner piece. Is that the one LMC sells?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Oh I see. We were typing at the same time. I thought you were asking who is "going' to install one. LOL.

Its nice. That keeps the dash from getting screw holes for mounts and what not.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
......we need to find out how high a bike is. That’s because I plan to have a rack with tent on top, and we either need to be able to get the bike under the rack or lift the rack long enough to get the bike in.

And, I’ll need to arrange the tools and parts so there’s a path down the middle. And, how long is your bike?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The OAH of 49" is a # we can use.  But the OAL of 86.2 isn't as it doesn't go to the tire patch but to the rear of the bike, which may be the back of the tire.  BB has a 96" bed and a tool box of maybe 18".  That leaves only about ~78" in the bed so we'll have to leave the tailgate down, which would extend enough.

However, I still hope to have the rear bumper/spare tire mount made and that will complicate things as the tailgate can't be left open.  Hmmm.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Gary Lewis wrote
It is Rob, and he's installing it on Eddy Myrtle.

So Rob, can you provide us with more pics than this one?  And answer a zillion questions?  Like:

How does a radio mount in the top?

The radio surprisingly is only 'smashed/squeezed' in between two pieces of foam... I'll take more pics and post them some time this week. This isn't urgent right? Just planning?

Is there a way through it to get an antenna lead to the rear where the bed light goes through the roof?  I wondered about taking the antenna lead through there.

This should be simple enough, you can run a wire anywhere underneath the liner.

Does it cover the factory dome light?

Yes, I ran the power feed for the radio and dome light through the factory dome location. You can also use the a-pillars to keep them hidden. That's for the version for trucks without a factory headliner. There is one for trucks that came with a factory headliner. Both will cover the dome light.

What is the bump above the driver?  Is it for switches?  Or?

Honestly, I'd have to go look. I've been mowing all afternoon, so I came online unprepared, sorry.

How do the sun visors work?

You mount your original visors the same as before. They'll function the same too, with just a little less space to fold away. Should not obstruct your view though. I'll confirm once they and my seat are installed.

How do you like it?

Happy with the look, but installation not complete yet. I still have to add the upper window trim, which is what holds the front of the liner up. But I first want to check my wiring(complete harness) and then wrap it in tape for which I'll need to disassemble the dash again.

Oh, and I got it from Bronco Graveyard, some $70 cheaper than LMC, but it's the same one.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, this is only for planning purposes at the moment.

So when you get a chance, pictures of various things would be helpful.  Like how the radio mounts 'cause that "smashed/squeezing in between two pieces of foam" sounds like it would hinder cooling and prevent the sound from getting out of the down-firing speaker in the President Bill CB.  (Dane - Does the President Bill have cooling holes top or bottom?)

Also, I'm curious about that bump above the driver.  Someone speculated that it is for switches, and that could come in very useful if so.

On the visors, I'm assuming that my later model visors with the inboard catches will work since the thing is marketed for later trucks as well.  See any reason why not?

As for the wire routing, it does seem like coming up the back would work nicely.  That would let me run the antenna lead out the back, which seems like a good idea right now.

So, remind me of how you are using the speakers?  Are you using them with the stereo and the CB?  I'm thinking that using the speakers in the doors for bass and midrange and the ones above for mids and highs might be good, but would take some crossovers.

And thanks on the JBG suggestion.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
All, head on over to the new Events Sub-Forum for the official 2021 Running of the Bulls Information. The first post in that thread will be dynamic, and I will update it as information is set in stone.

This thread here can continue to be used for planning and general trip talk.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/2021-RUNNING-OF-THE-BULLS-OK-TO-CO-td63432.html#a63441

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I am thinking we focus on the Bullnose recruiting, but I am running into people who are interested in this trip, but don't have a Bullnose or a Dual sport.

Should we open the event up to anyone with an off-road worthy 4x4? Just require a set of Bull Horns fixed to the grill? lol that would be awesome. Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Since you're asking about the speakers I take it you're not just thinking about the 'highliner' for mounting a CB? I wouldn't do that. As you mentioned the radio tray/bracket would not be ideal for a CB. I've seen images of CBs mounted where the radio would be, but without the tray. Google 'highliner headliner'.

There are also pics of switches mounted above the driver's visor. I checked this morning and that space looks perfect. I'll take pics with dimensions later. And yes, your newer visor will work, there is a molded location for the inner mounting.

As for how I use it, my CB won't be mounted for now, if ever. I had it for a semi, that will stay it's purpose even though I'm not driving now. But if I were to mount it in Eddy, mounting it underneath the radio on a bracket like the first picture you posted would be the way to go. Or underneath the dash as I've seen some guys do. For now, I still have my original radio hooked up to the dash speaker and the antenna. The radio going in the headliner will only be connected to the 4 cheap Chinese speakers in the headliner. If the sound is terrible I'll replace them with higher quality 4" speakers. Eventually I want to add an amp, sub and door speakers, but probably only after a 3G upgrade. But yes, if you like good sound, I doubt that only 4" speakers would suffice. Your idea sounds good.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Also Gary. For the ADVRiders who would be trailering or driving a truck in to Skiatook.....where are we going to put all the trailers and trucks?

My family in Bartlesville/Dewey live in a cul-de-sac and have NO room for an extra vehicle.

We may need to find a church parking lot, or maybe a friend of your's Gary has a little bit of land around there that we can park on???

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary, Bill has a heat sink, no cooling holes that I remember. I’ll take a look later and correct myself if necessary.

I put a President Andy in my truck and took out the huge Cobra 148 GTL. I did not find a place to put it under the dash I was comfortable with. The Bronco ashtray comes straight out. The Bullnose ashtray comes down which hindered mounting it there. Ended up putting it on the center console where the Cobra was. Which I like because it’s within easy reach.

Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Also, here’s my permanent antenna mount on my truck.

Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, so much to discuss.

Dane - I could do a permanent mount like that and just take the antenna off when I'm not going somewhere where I might use it.  But if I have a rack for the tent it'll probably be right up against that spot, so that wouldn't work.  I'm still leaning to a magnetic base for an antenna.

As for mounting the CB under the dash, I don't think that's going to work very well given my brake controller's location.  And I don't have the console.

Ray - I know plenty of people with property and I'll bet we can find a place to stash trucks and trailers.  But that's an issue I hadn't thought of.

Rob - If the President Bill doesn't have cooling fins then the radio mounting of the highliner might work fine.  However, I might devise some mounting other than foam.  So I'm thinking that the highliner is still of interest to me.  I might want to upgrade the speakers in it, though.

As for Googling 'highliner headliner', I've done some of that but will do more.  However, I'm quite interested to see what you think of it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Great. Thanks Gary. I know Chod is trailering his bike down. So that is one truck/trailer. I will be trailering also, unless I decide to just ride the bike.....unlikely. Holly wont be able to come with me in August. Which is sort of what I am thinking would be the best time to do this. The mountain passes will be good and melted by that time.

If we do it in August. I might see if Chod has room on his trailer, and Ill pay his gas bill from Louisville to Skiatook for a ride. If I get a few guys here to go, I will just pack bikes into the trailer and haul up to 4 ADVRiders including myself. I can fit 4 bikes in my trailer.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You'll also need to add at least a day to the trip 'cause I had you booking it from western CO to home in two days.  But if you have trucks and trailers it'll add at least a full day, if not more.

Mind you, I think that's the smart way to do it as adding that many more miles on a bike wouldn't be fun.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
You'll also need to add at least a day to the trip 'cause I had you booking it from western CO to home in two days.  But if you have trucks and trailers it'll add at least a full day, if not more.

Mind you, I think that's the smart way to do it as adding that many more miles on a bike wouldn't be fun.
Yup. Unless I want my butt looking like this.......

1 ... 345678910