(Normal)
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tires & Wheels For L'il Blue?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My SiL, TJ/tjmac, is looking for tires and wheels for his '84 F150 called L'il Blue.  He knew the wheels on the truck are way too wide, but didn't realize that the tires are quite old.

He'd like stock-sized wheels, but might could go a bit taller and/or wider than stock.  And he's in Charleston, SC.  So if anyone near there has a good set of tires and wheels you are willing to sell please let him know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tires & Wheels For L'il Blue?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I can ask my sister up in Duck Ditch to scour marketplace and any local outlets.
She's a really good detective (as you would expect)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.  That would be appreciated.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'll call her today.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No hurry as TJ will be on a trip as of today for about a week.  Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Is HE looking for anything specific, or just 5 on 5.5, 15" only?
Widths?
Decent tires? (this decade)

Edit:7" rims 235's????
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wish I could answer that, but he is traveling and will be out of the country so will be hard to contact.  (Plus his wife and kids arrive here in 5 hours so I'll be having too much fun to worry about it.  )

But what he has said in the past is that he wants a stockish look.  He wasn't sure what stock was, so I'm sure there is flexibility there.

In our text conversation last night he said he wants "tall & skinny".  But compared to the 10 1/2" wide rims he has now, 7" rims would be skinny.  And compared to what the tires looked like on those rims, 235's would look skinny.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, steelies, or would he like something like the Alcoa's?

Can you scour up a set of 4 wheel covers for 15" rims?

You tagged him to this thread.
It's not like he's on Mars....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Alright, I'm calling in the bloodhound.

There will be no rock unturned if I know ANYTHING about someone I've known for 59+ years

(She's just as "special" as I am, but mechanics is not her jam)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Not Mars, but Nicaragua.  Less than universal wifi and lots of work.  He's the director for One World Health for that part of the world and they build health care facilities so the rank and file have access.  They've built something like 10 facilities in the recent years and, while he's there, he meets with his staff.  Plus, having lived there for years, he has friends he may visit.  And, last I heard, you don't fly into Nicaragua you fly into Costa Rica and drive up to Managua.  So he will be busy.

I'm sure he'd like the aluminum wheels like I have on Dad's truck.  Or wagon wheels.  Or steelies and I'll find covers.  Just something somewhat period correct that gets away from the thimble/rubber band look the PO put on.

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I know what he does.

Costa Rica because it's been a CIA stronghold forever and there are lots of prostitution tourists, so lots of flights and 'good' airports.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

tjmac
Thanks Jim, for checking around. If there’s nothing close, I may find something workable online. I think I’m looking for something like this- maybe slightly larger. If someone has decent tires, great, but I have expected to have to go new with those once I have the wheels nailed down.

TJ McCloud
Lil'Blue:1983 Ford F150 4x4 Standard
5.0 302 V8
C6 3 speed automatic
DS-II Ignition
2150 Carb
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
6" wide Alcoa's?
You DO want the skinny pizza cutter look!

Thanks TJ, it's about time to wake the my sister and put her on the hunt.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

tjmac
Now that I understand the term “spoked” wheels, I’m open to those as well. Like Gary said, she’s had these ugly wide rims & tires ( imo), so even 7s will look “skinny” to me!
 Searching back through to see pics of other guys’ set ups now.

TJ McCloud
5.0 302 V8
C6 3 speed automatic
DS-II Ignition
2150 Carb
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, spoked means Wagon Wheels, but the ones with round holes are aluminum.

I think you'd be happier with 7" (at least there's a FAR better selection of tires in that 220--240 range than 185-220)

"Poverty" dog dish wheel covers on steelies might look great on your truck.
(But I AM a little biased!)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
These are wagonwheels.  Dad's truck came with those from the factory.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How wide are those Gary?

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The ones in the pic were 6" wide.  But I don't have them any more.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjmac
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Great! I’m open to multiple options.
What do yall think of going an inch or so taller?

From what I read on here, I see guys go way outside of “stock” without too much problem, unless they go crazy.
TJ McCloud
5.0 302 V8
C6 3 speed automatic
DS-II Ignition
2150 Carb
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Here is OBS wheels from an early 90s truck on my 84 F150 that I used to have. The tires were 30x9.5x15 which in my opinion is the largest that can fit a 2WD stock F150 without rubbing. The chrome on the OBS worked well with the chrome trim. If your truck has no chrome trim, maybe white wheels may look better ?

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project