Tire rub

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tire rub

snakebite8
Joe from NJ. 1985 F150 shortbed with 4.9 and its a stick. Put some Black FR500's on it. 17X9 upfront and 17X10.5 in the back.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Joe from NJ. 1985 F150 shortbed with 4.9 and its a stick. Put some Black FR500's on it. 17X9 upfront and 17X10.5 in the back.  
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i think that i can see bump stops there. if I'm right then there is only about 1/2 of travel. however, there seems to be something on the passenger side where the axle meets the springs that I don't recognize.
how long are the rear shackles? can you get a picture of the front spring hangers?
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Rears have the stops.  I’ll look into more tomorrow morning for u
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Mat did u get a chance to look at the front springs.  I believe they r cut
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
from looking at your springs I believe they have been cut but pics can be deceiving. try to get a measurement of the length of the spring at ride height sitting on the ground. if you need to jack it up to get good access, put solid blocks under the tires and put the trucks weight back on them. jack stands in other places will not give true measurements. car ramps are good. just be safe about going under a truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn

These are a couple from my flareside which is stock for this purpose. This is also with stock size tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i had said earlier that the loaded height should be approx. 13" but obviously mine is not. i must have had unloaded measurement on my mind. I just measured another spring off the shelf, and it measured nearly 16". certainly, they don't compress 4"just sitting. I will measure the lowered truck tomorrow after the bedliner paint is dry.
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Cool I appreciate all your help.  Hopefully this weekend is a little dryer and warmer and I could get back underneath the truck
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Mat. Did u ever get a chance to do other measure of your lowered truck?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Not yet. I'm on the road again this week but i can get measurements from the build here tomorrow
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I got a measurement today “sort of”. The truck im building is not loaded. The cab is off but the engine and trans are sitting on the front suspension. The springs measure 14” and that lines up with my thinking 13” loaded.
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Okay.  I’ll try seeing what it is on mine
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i measured another truck yesterday. the one I measured is also lowered and by using the drop beams. the springs measure 11 3/4". this is with the 5.8 ho and aode with air cond.
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
I replaced the springs.  I get an wheel alignment tomorrow.   Looks like it helped.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks great!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Thank u
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that's a good picture. I like the stance. I like short beds and i like the look of the newer mirrors on the sporty trucks. I love the color! certainly out of the ordinary.