1 ... 6789101112 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Yeah, autism can be a curse and a blessing.

"I'm not disabled, I'm differentlyabled"   LOL  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well said.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
OK, so the first round of JB Weld has set up pretty well, and this is what it looks like underneath the metal plate:

I wasn't able to get my phone to focus on the right spot, but if you squint you can see just a thin line of JB Weld showing through where the tab rises up through the plate.  This is just what I was hoping to see.

I've since mixed up another blob, and with a toothpick applied a fillet of JB to all four of those points.  If all goes well that will give me a bond above and below the metal, and hopefully that will be enough to keep things in place for the long haul.  I'll let it set up for a day or two, and maybe Sunday I'll put it back in the truck.

And thanks for the offers of help with the turn signal...although really, it's not that bad; the whole thing didn't run clear, just one corner.  I could probably fix it with a green marker if I really wanted to, although the green LED is a good idea that I may well try next time I have it opened up.

Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Another layer of the onion...

Progress is good!
And you are making a lot of progress lately Matthew.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Another layer of the onion...
And a many-layered onion it is!

Progress is good!
And you are making a lot of progress lately Matthew.  
I am!  I don't want to sound like I'm proselytizing here, but you know what I think it is?  My new diet.  I've been eating somewhere between low-carb and keto the last two months, and I think I'm getting that energy boost the proponents talk about.  I've been getting things done on the truck, I'm getting things done around the house, and I'm down nearly 20 pounds as well.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well congratulations!
Preach it!!!

Sounds like it's really working for you.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Wow, it sounds like it is really working for you.  Congrat's!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
I've since mixed up another blob, and with a toothpick applied a fillet of JB to all four of those points.  If all goes well that will give me a bond above and below the metal, and hopefully that will be enough to keep things in place for the long haul.  I'll let it set up for a day or two, and maybe Sunday I'll put it back in the truck.
Looking at it this morning, everything has set up and the metal plate feels like it's locked in place nice and strong.  I'll be at my parents' place at the lake tomorrow, and when I return Sunday I'll pop this back in.  If I can get it seated in the door panel without any of the bonds breaking, I think this will be good for years.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You should be good to go. The JBW should have bonded well to itself and probably has a tight grip on the plastic. 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Drum brake washer location question

Dorsai
I don't want to derail this topic, but I've been reading it with some interest since it started - I've suspected for some time that my rear brakes aren't really participating in the stopping of the truck, and I know my parking brake has fallen down on the job.

If I wanted to do a thorough overhaul/rebuild of my rear brakes ('80 F-150, 2wd, 9" rear), where would I start?  Are there good kits that contain everything I would need?  And if so, who are the reputable manufacturers?  
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Pull the drums first and see if the wheel cylinders are leaking, and WHY the adjusters are inop.

Don't just be a parts swapper 'because'
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Don't just be a parts swapper 'because'
Oh, it's not 'because'...well, OK, it is because...because I don't know the maintenance and repair history of the brakes.  I remember driving the truck in 2002 or so, years before I got it, and the slightest touch on the brake pedal caused the rear brakes to lock up.  It doesn't do that now...but why did that happen, and how was that fixed?  No idea.  So if I get in there and completely redo them I'll (a) have a baseline for the future, and (b) learn how to do drum brakes.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ok then...

Do you (try to) use the parking brakes regularly?

If you want a baseline, plan on getting everything from the brakelines out.
...AND the hose that is the splitter on the axle vent.

Get the drums, wheel cylinders, hardware kit, spring kit, rear cables, NEW adjusters & shoes.
(I will Never buy another pair of Wagner shoes in my life)
Because, reasons...

Motorcraft, Raybestos, the better of NAPA's house brands, there are choices..
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
BTW, the rear brakes shouldn't be locking up unless you stand on the pedal.  Ever.

(Ok, maybe empty, the first time it rained in a month, going downhill)

Your proportioning valve is faulty.
Have a look at it while you're under the truck

ETA: I'm not *poop* talking Wagner hardware.
But THREE incidents of friction product failure means it's not an option anymore.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
BTW, the rear brakes shouldn't be locking up unless you stand on the pedal.  Ever.
Exactly.  You see why I don't have great confidence in them?

And maybe the proportioning valve was replaced, and that's why it doesn't happen anymore.  There's really no way to know - that was about six years into the 14-year stretch where the truck was barely driven, and there's no telling what else was done or not done in that time.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well
If it was barely driven the inside of the drums might have been rusty.

The first time you drove it I could understand them grabbing HARD.

You do know that the way drum geometry is set up they are self applying, right?
And that there is always a front and back shoe?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm reminded of a '55 Chevy truck Dad bought. Ran GREAT, but stopped really poorly. He pulled the rear drums to find them packed full of grease. Not axle lube, but grease! The parking brake cables didn't connect to anything, and most of the hardware that was supposed to be in there wasn't there, so apparently someone put it back together and packed it with grease so it wouldn't rattle.

For me, I like knowing it was done right. And w/o knowing I worry. For instance, there's been a noise in the front end of Big Blue that I think is tires. But, what if it isn't? So I am really liking the idea that the whole front axle will be new when I'm done and I'll have peace of mind that if there is still a noise it is just tires.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Should we take this over to the truck of doom?

Maybe Gary can move it for us????
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
You do know that the way drum geometry is set up they are self applying when going forward, right?

And that there is always a front and back shoe?
Fixed it for you, Jim.

1 ... 6789101112 ... 28