1 ... 109110111112113114115116
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

Nothing Special
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'm changing the thread title back.  

I didn't get nearly the responses I expected.
Maybe I'm just toooo far out there for you guys???

This morning (didn't dawn) I started my day w/ Mingus and Coletrane.
I LOVE all awesome music!
Gotta admit, I didn't even notice the change in title .  But I was wondering where the reference to an obscure album came from.

I used to listen to music all of the time, mostly what are now often called "the good bands", Beatles, Stones, Zep, Skynyrd, Boston, Steve Miller, Kansas....  

Then I got married.  Lesley listened to country music, so that was usually what was on any time we were in the car.  And then we had kids, and "Barney's Greatest Hits" became the norm on the tape deck.  Later I was driving groups of Scouts on campouts or whatever.  Through those decades I often didn't have my music on and kind of got out of the habit of listening to music all of the time.  I don't even have a stereo in the garage anymore.

I do have all of my music digitized, and I put it on MP3 disks so I can listen to 10 hours on the stereo in Oswald before I need to change the disk.  But the stereo in Pluto died again a few years ago (it gets water in it from the leaky fold-down windshield), and the Dodge stereo doesn't play MP3s.  So I don't even listen to anything while I'm driving anymore.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
I understand diversity

In your case assorted or random

I don't eat the poison Apple, and don't trust the Goliath with any more of my demographics or interests than I absolutely have to.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
people really raise an eyebrow when they catch you listening to capt beefheart. haha
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
No, trees do NOT move. That's why my ranger has a green bed on a black body.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Trout Mask Replica!  

ETA: My first album ever was Hot Rats.
I wore the grooves out!
My favorites were Willy the Pimp and Peaches en Regalia.....  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
I was listening to Zep4 yesterday.

Back in high school I would BLARE Black Dog on my 400w Kenwood to wake the neighborhood when I got home from my overnight shift around 7, then I would be at school by 7:30 homeroom.

Some neighbors didn't like me much, but at least It was (for the time) monster tunes from LZ like Kasmir 😂

I like both types of music, Country & Western!  
Have any comments about the uproar today, about a certain VERY TALENTED singer of another genre releasing a country album?
I've listened, and I may not be the country demographic but I think it's quite good!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
ah yes, the good ole days. nova rollin on crager gt's with a harwood up front and 500w through ten speakers. yup!  you heard me!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
When you listened to Alice Cooper. EVERYBODY listened to Alice Cooper!!!!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
ArdWrknTrk wrote
....  Have any comments about the uproar today, about a certain VERY TALENTED singer of another genre releasing a country album?
I've listened, and I may not be the country demographic but I think it's quite good!
Country isn't what it used to be, and in my opinion that's a good thing.  When I first had to listen to Lesley's music I did have to put my foot down at times, saying "that's just too twangy."  Now mainstream country music sounds more like what we used to call southern fried rock (i.e. Skynyrd).  A lot of that has actually made it onto my MP3 disks.

Then several years ago artists started trying to mix country with rap.  I call that genre country-rap, or C-rap for short.  Fortunately that seems to have died off.

So now Beyonce wants to put her flavor on country music.  That's fine.  Artists can express themselves however they want.  But just because they want to doesn't mean I need to like it.  I've heard a couple of her songs on the radio, and if I hear them again I'll probably change the station.  But I haven't heard either one a second time, so I don't think they're catching on, at least here.  Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  But my preference is that they don't.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Since we're on the subject... (just infusing myself into this as though I were part of the previous conversation)... I hate 99.999999999% of music. To be fair, my first experience in life with music was the Black Eyed Peas and Gwen Stefani. Guess that prejudiced me toward the art form as a whole. IF you can even call it "art" anymore... I can't stand most of what comes on the radio, which I'm forced to listen to at work. It's all either mindless dance music, or sappy relationship-oriented junk. Unfortunately, the station our radio is always set to only plays the "top 40's", which somehow always seems to end up being the Police at least every other song. I hate that band's music with a passion.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Guess I sound a mite harsh there. Still, I give no appy polly loggies to thee or thine for that.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
I'm sorry you seem so angry, Bradley.
I can't really say what your generation was exposed to.

Back in my day music was thought provoking, slanted towards social justice and Free Love.

I will say in 1984, after I got out of 2 1/2 months in traction, I went to work for Westinghouse in their satellite transmission services.
They beamed Lifetime, The Nashville Network, Arts & Entertainment, Satellite News Channel as well as Muzak.

That '80's elevator music was enough to make you want to stab your eardrums out with a pencil!!!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Ifitaintbroke wrote
....  which somehow always seems to end up being the Police at least every other song....
Funny how that tends to work out.  I used to listen to an "oldies" rock station and it seemed like every other song was Elton John.  And when I lived in Detroit in the '80s there was a rock station with the call letters WLLZ, which we decided stood for "We Love Led Zeppelin"
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm listening to Zep 4 right now!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I'm not angry, just very opinionated. Shallow music gets on my nerves.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
The music of my generation is anything but thought provoking. But, my generation isn't very concerned with thought.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I guess I don't see 'hate' the same way you do....

I've been around the block a few times, and seen enough hatred that I know I never want to be that person.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
It's a word I use too freely. I just speak too strongly. I admit that as a fault. I should use "dislike". But, words change meaning over time, as well as amplitude (couldn't think of a better word). I usually try to resist that pull, and keep words meaning what they mean.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Might I suggest lothe?

It expresses your incredible distaste without making you sound like a vulgar and pathetic person.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Winter jolt.

Yesterday:

This morning:

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
1 ... 109110111112113114115116