Sunvisor Brackets

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sunvisor Brackets

Danny G
I know, get the 87+... I don't want cloth lol, and already have brand new visors.

I am having a hard time finding non-warn out brackets. I am going to attempt I think to replace the spring one the ones I have. BUT I found on LMC they have 16" brackets available under the 87+ page. I think this is a tad longer than the 81-86 truck visors bracket... but if it is the same diameter... I cant see why a little grind work couldn't make it match.

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sunvisor Brackets

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
ouch ~$50 each?  The 16" arms are $8.95. JBG has some on back order with no ETA at $20 set.
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Not to sidetrack this thread but how are yours worn out?
Is the bracket itself loose where it screws into the top of the cab?
Or the swivel on the rod is loose?
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
swampedout wrote
Not to sidetrack this thread but how are yours worn out?
Is the bracket itself loose where it screws into the top of the cab?
Or the swivel on the rod is loose?
Not a sidetrack at all. The springs are shot. They literally just bounce around and provide no tension, they act more like a bearing/sleeve than anything. They are kept on by Ford machining the end of the bar into 3 petals. I cut those petals off and was going to play around with insetting a piece of all thread which a new spring, washer and nut could fit over.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Subscribed.

I've also wondered about tapping what is there and adding a bolt for adjustable tension. I like the all thread better though as the bolt would add stress that the existing tube might not handle.

Like you, I don't want cloth ones. When I get to that point I plan on having an upholstery shop see about exposing the rod on mine similar to the later ones.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
kramttocs wrote
Subscribed.

I've also wondered about tapping what is there and adding a bolt for adjustable tension. I like the all thread better though as the bolt would add stress that the existing tube might not handle.

Like you, I don't want cloth ones. When I get to that point I plan on having an upholstery shop see about exposing the rod on mine similar to the later ones.
I am going to place an order with LMC today for the other rods and see if I can make them work. I am thinking JB weld or epoxy for the all thread. I just need to find a decent spring. The bar is hollow where it the pedal is formed to hold the factory spring on, and there is a cavity ill mic out probably this weekend if I get a chance. I am at work today, then have tickets for the Rise of Skywalker tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Take pictures and post up what you do.
I have 2 sets, 1 set was held to an over head shelf with Velcro so I know they "move"
The other set I am thinking will be the same way, both set have rips.

I bought a new set of the visor from LMC, need to paint them, and you use your rods.
I did see they say if they fall down to bend the rods a little in the middle but don't say anything of the spring and I have not looked that close at it yet.

I thought there was the spring, washer & cotter pin to hold it together?
If it does have the "wings" holding the washer / spring could you take the wings off and tap the end of the rod for a lock nut. Then you could go as loose or tight as you wanton it and being locknut should not loosen up.
Now I got to go dig mine out!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
thats kind of the mindset. I wish it had a cotter key but it doesn't. A cotter key may be a better route. pop it out put a new spring in and put a new key on. It looks like ford basically slide the spring and washer on then used a press that split the shaft in a few petals to hold it together.

I need to find a suitable spring more than anything.

I ordered the 16" shafts from LMC this morning I think the pre 86 is only like 15". in that case, im grinding off an inch and calling it a day.

As far as keeping them up top, the new visors have a little metal clip. I'm thinking neodymium magnets to act as visor clips.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
TheScatch wrote

Drilling for a cotter key is the easy way to do this I think.

The nut like you said gives you adjustable tension.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by Danny G
TheScatch wrote
I know, get the 87+... I don't want cloth lol, and already have brand new visors.
Only on the upscale 1987 - 1991 "XLT Lariat" and 1992 - 1996 "XLT" models were the sunvisors covered in cloth.  The lower level trucks still had vinyl sunvisors.  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LARIAT 85 wrote
Only on the upscale 1987 - 1991 "XLT Lariat" and 1992 - 1996 "XLT" models were the sunvisors covered in cloth.  The lower level trucks still had vinyl sunvisors.
Yep. Big Blue is sporting brown vinyl ones from Huck, the 1990 half-truck. I’ll paint/dye them blue some day, but they are already night and day better than the droopy ones that were on there when I got him.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI