Sun visors 1985 F150 s/c

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sun visors 1985 F150 s/c

C.Jett
Has anyone installed just the bracket and arm in the visor from LMC? Can someone school me on a method to do this.  CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sun visors 1985 F150 s/c

mat in tn
I have done it but it's not a "big" memory. I don't remember it being anything but pull the old off and push the new on. it does seem to have a good resistance though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not done that.  Instead I went to the later sun visors that have a latch or holder in the middle.  Much, much better!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Thanks Mat, is it the visor or arm that wears out? Mine is loose in all directions. It might be better to replace complete system. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary, are you talking about the latch at the end of the visor, when you say middle of truck? Mine doesn’t have that latch. Can you install that latch ? And does the bracket holes match ? CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'm talking about the latch at the end of the visor.  But only the later visors have the spot in the visor to engage the latch.

And yes, if I remember correctly the holes for the outboard bracket match the Bullnose holes, but there are no holes for the inboard bracket.  However there's metal there so mark for the holes and drill them.

Here's a shot of the visors in Big Blue, but since I have the aftermarket headliner, called a Highliner, they look different:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Gary that is old school fantastic!
 yes, the newer ones can be added but you will need to drill a couple holes for the retention brackets in the middle.  and yes, the pivot end does wear out and allow the visors to swing around a bit. frankly that gets annoying. my 86 does this and I will get to it one day. I have a replacement set waiting to be installed. putting new visors on hangers that swing around will not help this at all. these are very simply designed. and by that, I mean simply cheap for mass production. the rod is bent roughly into a 90 degree and slipped into a cast anchor with a spring for retention. if they threaded it with a nut that would cost more so the rod is split in petal form and bent over the spring. not much to make it any better. for a daily driver the newer styles just work better. I'm a purist but only part time.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks Mat, it’s exactly as you described. After pricing the newer models, Duct Tape is looking better. Do you think I would have any luck replacing just the bracket and rod? My visors are in good shape. So the visor just pulls off? CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary, that looks great but I am just a simple OLD country boy. I’m gonna try a new bracket and rod. Hope it works. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by C.Jett
if you are buying new hangers then the new visors are only another 40 or so if you get black. technically they just pull off but I'm not going to say easily. and it takes some back and forth. all while trying not to damage an old visor. good luck