Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stripped Water Pump Bolt

AmericanSavage
Rembrant wrote
AmericanSavage wrote
Yes, it is.
Ahh, OK, my bad. I thought it was one of these two bottom bolts which look to be the ones that thread into the timing cover and not the block.

I am thinking based on my edit to that response, that you might be correct.  Stand by, I have now isolated it between ALL the gaskets, and a shot of my front cover—I think I was wrong in my insistence it goes into the block….stand by.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by AmericanSavage
Does the heli-coil come with the needed tap?  It is a special tap.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
OK, I think YOU all are right—Based on location it HAS to be plate only? And not screw into the block.  The upper bolt definitely goes into the block.  I double checked with my pics I took, and with the pump, + the TWO gaskets I have on hand.  

I want to thank everyone for making me better at this—all of you are immense help.

I will confirm all this with pics and hand out awards to those who got it right.

See pics below:
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Does the heli-coil come with the needed tap?  It is a special tap.
I have a kit, and it comes with a tap, several coils, and a tool to install and break the piece at the end (inside).  Some come with a drill to boot, but I think the one I have does not have the bit with it.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Sorry for all the posts—I found a rather nice pic of a 351m/c

This really helped me, and Rembrant and ArdWrknTrk and mat in tn (also 85lebaront2).

All you had it right.  I think I was off one hole.  Thank you all for making me check twice, 3 times.

Here is the pic:

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
after seeing the picture of the cover from pro comp. I think i would order that if i was to ever need my cover off again. that seems like a problem solver redesign.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
None of us wanted you to mess things up. Now you see how the threads are made in the 335 series timing covers. I think Ford stole the idea from Oldsmobile, complete with the vertical fuel pump bolt orientation.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
after seeing the picture of the cover from pro comp. I think i would order that if i was to ever need my cover off again. that seems like a problem solver redesign.
read the few reviews of the Pro Comp.  Not a great fit.  The Summit one is laser cut.  I would like to see more reviews though.

I will decide what to do after I get this cover off.  I may replace it, and if I do, I will likely go with the more expensive Summit cover.  Great reviews on that and near perfection on the fit to OEM.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
if that is a concern then I will just weld flange nuts to the back of the oe cover.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
mat in tn wrote
if that is a concern then I will just weld flange nuts to the back of the oe cover.
This is definitely one thing I am going to look into doing.

Based on all the great advice here, I cannot see a way other than grinding down the braze-on bolt, and re-welding a new nut in its place.  

However, there is some, shall we say, pitting on the cover.  I may just replace it.  I hope to know more this week when I remove it.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
as I said, I just did mine and yes it had some pitting where the gasket goes against the cover. I cleaned it thoroughly and wire brushed it as smooth as I could then buttered it well with rtv on the gasket too as I did not want any weeping from a bad fit. if it weeps it is getting a new cover.
Reply | Threaded
|

scbill
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
When tapping a hole for heli-coil, or anywhere you don't want chips getting into places that are hard to clean them out, I used to fill the tap grooves with chassis grease so the chips will become imbedded in the grease and not go where not wanted.
1983 F100 XL 300, 6 cyl, aod, long bed
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
From the link Cory posted it appears the bolt threads into the tin cover and not the block. (well inboard of the water inlet)
When I read this I realized I was somehow looking at the wrong bolt the whole time
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
This post was updated on .
In the bitter cold today, got the timing cover off.  Suprisingly, to me anyway, the timing chain looks pretty good.  Looks new.  Color me shocked.

So, you can see the stripped part on the cover.  There’s not a lot of real estate on this cover for the bolts to grab onto.  When it warms up a bit (tomorrow I hope) I am going to check clearance, and see if a welded on nut will work.  

While I was there today, I went ahead and changed out the fuel pump—the other one looked old, but seemed to work ok.  Still, it is a cheap part to replace, and I had easy access, so why not?

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
AmericanSavage wrote
While I was there today, I went ahead and changed out the fuel pump—the other one looked old, but seemed to work ok.  Still, it is a cheap part to replace, and I had easy access, so why not?
The way aftermarket parts fail now, I don’t think that way.

My son wanted me to replace the water pump when I did the head gaskets on the Xterra we now own. I said no, what if the new one only lasts 10,000 miles? The old oem pump could last 200,000 more.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
grumpin wrote
AmericanSavage wrote
The way aftermarket parts fail now, I don’t think that way.

My son wanted me to replace the water pump when I did the head gaskets on the Xterra we now own. I said no, what if the new one only lasts 10,000 miles? The old oem pump could last 200,000 more.
This is, of course, a real problem these days, so you are correct.  The fuel pump I replaced was NOT OEM, though.  I did not go for the cheapest—went with NAPA.  We shall see.

I saved the old one for an emergency spare.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The chain does look good, but how much play is there in it?  If I remember correctly Ford's spec's are 1/2" max.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
save this picture! what a perfect shot of how a fuel pump run off an eccentric works
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
The chain does look good, but how much play is there in it?  If I remember correctly Ford's spec's are 1/2" max.
Hey Gary,

You are correct about the ½”  

I checked the chain where it sits—I have not cranked the engine over.  One side (pass) is tight.  The other side (D side) has slack.  

There is at least ¾” slop on that side.

Regardless of which, I decided over the weekend to get a roller set.  I am here, and so, I am going to do it right while I have everything opened up.  So, a few more days of waiting for reassembly.

Recs on Rollers anyone?

I see at Summit there is a Cloyes, Edelbrock, and Comp Cams.  Looks like only Edel/Comp are made in USA.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think replacing it is the right thing to do.  And I like Cloyes, although I wouldn't mind an Eddie or Comp.