Steering wheel cover

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Steering wheel cover

IowaTom
Guys - I've got a sticky stock steering wheel in my '85 F150 and would like to get something I could slip over it.  Not finicky but don't want fur or shaggy looking.
Have you used something you're happy with?  Thanks!
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Steering wheel cover

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Deren sent me a packet of Cerakote and it didn’t truck for months, if not a year, on my sticky steering wheel. I tried cleaning it with everything known to man and the sticky wouldn’t go away. But Cerakote sealed it in.

CERAKOTE® Ceramic Trim Coat Kit - Quick Plastic Trim Restorer - Ceramic Coating Black Trim Restoration to Last Over 200 Washes – A Ceramic Coating, Not a Dressing https://a.co/d/i8fsyW6
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Great idea!  Thank you, Gary, I'll look into it!
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Got the Cerakote and Gary's right, it's good stuff and I was able to spiff up the rubber bumpers of my wife's Kia, too!
No more sticky steering wheel...and my door panels look great.  :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it worked on the wheel.  I haven't tried it on anything else, but should.

I just looked and I put it on my wheel on Nov 13, 2022.  So it has been over a year and it is still doing pretty well.  However for our trip to Moab in June I'll re-coat it to make sure.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by IowaTom
Cerakote... cool. I'll try that next time. I've been happy with this old school wrap to wrap the stickiness and also add some cushion. In the pic below you see at 6'o'clock the ends are not tucked in properly, I am no expert at wrapping... I spent a few moments the other day to fix them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09F575RYL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I like the old type of cover and keep considering one. but I noticed the seat also. where did you get the upholstery and do you like it. it looks to be from lmc
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Bingo! LMC it was. The color match is a lot better in person as the velour fabric has a glare and a photo doesn’t reproduce true colors on the velour. I must admit I like it a lot more than I thought I would. I did have to DIY foam repair with chunks I cut off from a block of foam from a crafts store. I can share a pic of the repair, not pretty but functional.

I initially wanted to redo and mimic the original look, and took on it as a project. Only got so far as below before I realized it was going to take too long with my DIY grade sewing machine and I couldn’t have the truck out of commission the whole time without seats (the original covers had to be taken out and apart for measurements).

Vivek

- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
my upholstery kit is due from lmc today. however, I ordered the oem look version. I have done a few and I know having a proper shop re upholster a seat is best, but I like doing my own work still.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Didn’t know LMC sold the OEM look version.. can you send me the link to it please?
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
well, it's the one that they refer to as oem look. but it's a copy of the sewing pattern and the texture is nothing like the original. I got one seat done ,kinda as a refresher. I need to restore the frame for the next one.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
OK. I don't believe they offer that anymore for the Bullnose. I see that for the option for the 87+, maybe the bench is identical.

My seat material is still there. If/when I get a walking foot sewing machine on sale on marketplace, I will continue to work on it. Whatever is done so far is solid.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
on page 63 in the catalog. yes, I still read catalogs. or look up part number 49-5732-bl
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Thanks. I like that a lot!
Vivek