Starting issue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Starting issue

IowaTom
Guys - I replaced my steering column with a rebuilt tilt unit that works great.  Did this after my key mechanism fell to pieces on the old, non-tilt with wiggly steering wheel.  :-)

My 300 six does not have an access 'hole' for a mechanical pump, so I'm using an electric one.

I find when I key over to start the pump (for priming when she's sat a week or two) then turn the key to fire the engine, I get a click and - of all things - the dome light goes out.  Key off and try again, nothing.  I have to disconnect a battery cable and once re-connected, the truck will fire off.

Is my issue in the rod actuated column switch?  I've followed Gary's help page on lining it up, but this one's got me stumped.
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Starting issue

mat in tn
I would not be surprised if you have not already answered your own question. you disrupted the ground and it restarted. clean the connections and you might want to replace the ground cable for reliability.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by IowaTom
I would not be surprised if you have not already answered your own question. you disrupted the ground and it restarted. clean the connections and you might want to replace the ground cable for reliability.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thank you, Matt!

I think bad grounds is the "poltergeist" of amateurs.  :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
suspecting it is easy. locating it can be tough . when in doubt start with the battery posts and work back toward the load.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
I'd had a ground cable easy disconnect gizmo and took it off, replacing it with a typical ground cable.  It seems to have done the trick.  Thanks, Mat!
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
I had this exact same “click-no-start-yellowish-dome-light” issue.
Replaced the battery ground cable, that was the problem.

Glad to hear it worked for you too!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, glad you got it fixed.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI