classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Speed Control Upgrade

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And I'm that guy that goes into a room, stops to ask "why did I come here", and then goes on his merry way oblivious to the fact that he's just forgotten to do something important.  

I'll look around a bit, but I don't know where to look.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Ok, first item, I believe on all of the speed controls a blown brake light fuse will keep the speed control form activating.

I still stand by the need for a "safety kill" in case the nice hefty stepper motor and it's affiliated gear train jams. Brake light switch will tell the electronics to let go of the cable - gears are jammed - no clutch magnet release - throttle is now stuck at whatever opening you were at!

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
This post was updated on .
My truck is an F150 SB
The MC that I installed I know is an’87, just don’t know if it was for a 1/2/or 350. I can’t imagine that I would have selected a 250 or 350 version. There is a boss in the casting, just not drilled/ tapped for the fire hazard switch. The plastic reservoir has a “low level” switch that I never hooked up.
My proportioning valve (original from factory) has a switch in the middle on the top. Two P/W wires lead into a harness going to . . . Not a clue! Brake Light Switch
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
3/4 ton and up have wider stud attachments.
You need to slot these to put an 1 1/8 bore MC on a lighter truck.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill, I hear ya. But splain me the difference in your hypothetical if it was the pressure switch that went bad. Gears are still frozen and throttle cable can’t move.
If the gears freeze up, 20 redundant switches won’t return the throttle to idle.

Not bustin on ya, just trying to understand.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
I'm not talking about the switch threads, I'm talking about removing a line nut and making up a line with a banjo fitting, so you can use one of those pressure switches without switching master cylinders (again)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think his argument is for a vacuum servo over a stepper motor.....  🧐
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim - I’m pickin up what your layin down. It’s an interesting solution that could be made to work. I’m just not interested in adding to my to do list if I don’t have to.
Installing an engine that I rebuilt AND converting from an NP435 to a 4R70W that I rebuilt has created an ever increasingly long list of things to do!

I’m just hoping that something that someone says makes that lightbulb in my head shine and I say “Ah Ha! NOW I understand!”

Right now I’m not convinced of the need for more than the stop switch or the horn pad switch to disengage the speed control.

But don’t take that statement the wrong way, I’m VERY open to being convinced.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Believe me, I'm not trying to sell you anything.
You gave me a list and I'm trying to come up with expedient solutions that can work with what you already have.

A $15 switch isn't going to break you, but I totally understand where you're at (look at my rear end!  😳)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Under the drum the cable goes around is an electromagnetic clutch powered through the hydraulic switch on the master cylinder. If the switch is opened by hydraulic pressure in the brake system, the clutch releases the drum and the throttle return springs do the rest.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Bill - Thank you for the description of the integrals. I very much appreciate knowing what’s going on inside the servo.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Thank you to everyone that responded with words of wisdom and advice.

It is much appreciated, as I think that I now have a plan to move forward.

I’ve ordered some wiring connectors to make a small harness to go between the existing ‘85 wires and the ‘95 servo, but it will be awhile before I can test it out. My rebuilt engine is still on the stand.
Kurt K