Small wheel bolt pattern option

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Small wheel bolt pattern option

vicp21
Hi everyone.  I did a search for wheels but wasn't having much luck so if it's been covered elsewhere, my apologies.  My '82 has the small bolt pattern on the rear and the front was switched to the large pattern by the p/o.  I got another large pattern axle for the rear so they match, but now I'm thinking of keeping it because I think this will be a street truck and my '87 will be 4x4.  So, my question is-- Will late model mustang wheels fit on the small bolt pattern hubs?  I'm sure the rears will clear, but I thought I read that the front hub centers on the trucks are bigger than the cars.  I'm thinking mid 2000s Bullit wheels perhaps.  If not, can the mustang hubs be swapped over?  I don't really want to do a crown vic swap to get the hubs I want.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Small wheel bolt pattern option

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jein.  (German for "yes and no".)

This page gives Mustang bolt patterns, and the one you are looking for is 5 x 4.5", which equates to 5 x 114.3mm, as your truck apparently has the 5 x 4.5" pattern in the back.

But, there's a lot more than the bolt spacing to whether a wheel will work.  Notice the other columns, like offset and center bore.  I don't know offset your truck needs.  Nor do I know the center bore of the hubs.

Anyway, I do hope that helps?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

vicp21
I'm hoping maybe someone has done it before perhaps.  It's kind of rare since it's a f100 only issue possibly.  I wish I could remember where I saw the mention of the hub.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by vicp21
vicp21 wrote
I got another large pattern axle for the rear so they match, but now I'm thinking of keeping it because I think this will be a street truck...
Regardless, you'll be better-off with the common 5-on-5.5" pattern all around.  Mismatching them will make tire rotation almost pointless (side-to-side only).

Beyond that, you should also aim for the common '87-96 large pilot (same size as the 4WD front hubs') on the rear axle so the wheels are hubcentric.
Reply | Threaded
|

vicp21
My goal is to make them match.  Currently it's big pattern on the front and small pattern on the rear.