Sky Offroad Design 08+ rear spring conversion

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sky Offroad Design 08+ rear spring conversion

VWThomason
Originally I had intended to do extensive pictures and a write up on installing this kit to help someone here, but I was really strapped for time in the shop to get it done.

I still have plans to do some additional instructions and have some pictures to upload as well.

First thing I want to start off with is I am installing this kit on my 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually that was originally 2wd.

Sky's instructions really do cover everything pretty well, just some people need to see more pictures etc.

My current notes as of right now are that if you don't have a medium or long stroke(ram) air hammer you're gonna definitely want to invest in one or at least borrow one to drive out the frame rivets. I highly reccomend that you get a long stroke(ram) one and if you don't then try removing them with a short stroke(ram) or a hammer and chisel/punch, by the time you're done driving out 22 rivets your arms aren't going to feel good. I didn't have one when I started, but I have one now to finish the front RSK.

Also I only ran into one issue that wasn't covered at all in my instructions. I reached out to Sky but I haven't heard anything back from them yet, which is understandable with everything going on. When installing the front spring hanger they only mention removing the six rivets holding the original spring hanger on, but nothing about this pin I have(had) on my frame. I didn't remove it at first because the new hanger has two holes and I thought it would slide into one of the holes, but in my case that was not how it worked out. Then after removing it the new vertical bolt goes in just a few MM next to it. The picture included is the passenger side frame rail, you can see where the new holes with bolts for the rear of the new hanger. Those are installed first to locate the hanger for the front 3 and the vertical bolt

Maybe not all frames have this pin, or maybe it's just in different spots for different frames. Also possible they just forgot to mention it in their instructions.
The Polar Bear - 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. Starting life as a 2wd 6.9 C6 truck. Now has Cummins P-pump that is slightly turned up. Running ZF-5 transmission with BW4407 transfer case. Converting to 4wd with some help from a SKY RSK kit with SD springs on top of a 1996 Dana 60. Also using the SKY kit to convert the rear to 2008 springs. More to come.

Clifford - 1993 F250 7.3 IDI ATS 088 turbo with a ZF-5 behind it and 4.10 gears. Lifted along with solid axle D60 swap. Running Baja military 37s
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sky Offroad Design 08+ rear spring conversion

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The truck chassis hangs from those pins during assembly.
You're going to find them on all F-series of this vintage.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The truck chassis hangs from those pins during assembly.
You're going to find them on all F-series of this vintage.
Yes, I was mainly referring to location or if they were already removed on some trucks. I knew what they were for
The Polar Bear - 1986 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. Starting life as a 2wd 6.9 C6 truck. Now has Cummins P-pump that is slightly turned up. Running ZF-5 transmission with BW4407 transfer case. Converting to 4wd with some help from a SKY RSK kit with SD springs on top of a 1996 Dana 60. Also using the SKY kit to convert the rear to 2008 springs. More to come.

Clifford - 1993 F250 7.3 IDI ATS 088 turbo with a ZF-5 behind it and 4.10 gears. Lifted along with solid axle D60 swap. Running Baja military 37s
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Location didn't change, and they were never cut off at the factory, if that's what you're asking.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Well, I guess Sky is pretty busy or just overlooked my email, but everything is mounted up now and together. I forgot to take pictures of everything together, but I will upload some soon when I can move it around. Currently working on the front suspension conversion as well.

This is a poor comparison of before and after, but I've only got so much room in my shop to get a decent picture.

Bonus pictures of the front being stripped

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Looks good!

Are you planning on running the stock front bumper with the guards and the RSK? I had to modify my front bumper to clear the "SD" part of the RSK, but I don't think the bumper guards would fit which is a shame because I like the premium bumper on these trucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by VWThomason
Looking good, VW!  Remind me what springs you are going with up front?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Looks good!

Are you planning on running the stock front bumper with the guards and the RSK? I had to modify my front bumper to clear the "SD" part of the RSK, but I don't think the bumper guards would fit which is a shame because I like the premium bumper on these trucks.
I'm not sure on the bumper yet. I just got it stripped today. Now I gotta make all the new holes where the 2wd frame doesn't have them. Which is pretty much every single one lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Looking good, VW!  Remind me what springs you are going with up front?
I am going with the U code springs. Which are the 2000ish lbs rated ones.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
VWThomason wrote
I'm not sure on the bumper yet. I just got it stripped today. Now I gotta make all the new holes where the 2wd frame doesn't have them. Which is pretty much every single one lol.

Been there done that. lol. I just went out today and drilled the last two holes for the bolts near the front cab mounts because I was so tired of drilling when I first put the kit on and those were the hardest ones since they had to be drilled from the back using measurements only. lol.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
VWThomason wrote
I thought so, but couldn't remember for sure.  I think they are going to work for me.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

VWThomason
Gary Lewis wrote
VWThomason wrote
I thought so, but couldn't remember for sure.  I think they are going to work for me.
I sure hope they work out for me. I really don't want to lift the rear anymore than it already is. Where it is at right now is the perfect height