Saginaw P/S pumps [U-Haul surplus]

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Saginaw P/S pumps [U-Haul surplus]

Vic Roma
Is this the same as what some of you have? Other than it being for 87 onwards. I’ve seen some new ones online, so is it worth buying new or are the early 80s JY finds including brackets etc. the correct part for our trucks?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Saginaw P/S pumps [U-Haul surplus]

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vic - You can't run a Saginaw pump on these trucks w/o getting the right brackets.  And the best source for those is on the E-series vans, which did run the Saginaws.

As for this being the same pump, yes.  But it may be slight different in the accessories.  For instance, I note that the return for this one points down at ~6:00 where one of mine points at about 10:00 and another points at about 8:00.  That is all application-dependent.

And, there are differences in the pressure valve included, and that's something I have no way to quantify.  But I can say that those who have swapped a Sag from an E-series van into these trucks have found them to work quite well.

What are the differences?  One is a quieter pump - where the C-II that comes on the F-Series trucks growls and whines, the Saginaws are quiet.  Another is that the Sags don't puke fluid if you turn the wheels with the engine off.  But maybe best, they are said to give a better "feel" to the steering.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI