115 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rethinking The 3G Conversion Pages/Process

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's all cool.  
I was just trying to make the point that I had been trying to track down that connector.

I know it's odd, and I can't seem to find it anywhere, except that Painful Duraspark kit
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I described it wrong but the little nub is what I was referring to.  Could that key be ground or sanded off to fit?  It looks like the rest of the plug is the same?  I'm not saying that would be the best route, but just a potential route?
Will
--
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This is what I've said many times before.
But our documentarian is never happy with a temporary solution that simply works.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
Alright.  I think I understand the similarities and differences of those two plugs now.  Since the Duraspark version is available, I think many folks could find a way to remove the nub that's in the wrong position.  It might not be the cleanest option, but I wouldn't call it the worst option either.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Do we know what years and vehicles had the C610 plug?  I want to be on the look out as I'm hitting up the junk yards.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary gives a D3Ax- part number, sooooo 1973 - 1986
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure that the Duraspark connector will carry enough current.  C610 carries all of the current going into the cab, and that yellow wire is probably a #12 if not a #10.

And I think from what has been said that the only Duraspark connector that has been found is from Painless.  Is that right?  If so, what size wire can the terminals handle?

Maybe on Friday, since I'm out tomorrow, I can measure a Duraspark connector to see if it is the same size.  If so then trim its tabs off and see if it'll plug into the other half of C610.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The only DISTRIBUTOR connector (which has the odd key) is found in the Painful DSII kit.

The regular module plugs are everywhere, all day long.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, my misunderstanding.  Assuming I can get the Duraspark connector to plug into the other half of C610 then maybe I should buy one of the Duraspark connectors and see what size wire it can handle.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's not going to go unless you file the key off.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have a Duraspark module that's destined to be hollowed out and reborn with a foreign module inside by our resident carb & ignition guru, and he's already said connectors aren't needed.  So I'll try that one.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Connector            Ford part no.         AUVECO    Motorcraft
DS-II 3 pin      3U2Z-14S411-XXA       20841      WPT-601
DS-II 4 pin                                        20844

Try these numbers

As for the modified module, (a) it doesn't need to be a Ford DS-II unless it is bad, a cheap aftermarket case will suffice.(b) If what I am trying to do works, then we will be looking for junk non-ford cases that when converted can be labeled "Garage Mahal TFI conversion", Or maybe "Preston Carburetion and Ignition TFI conversion" I think the last owner won't mind.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  The 4-pin should be the one.  

Not sure what brand the module is, but I'll check on Friday.  However the label should honor you.  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That looks like the DS-II connector
Jim, Big Brother’s stator harness is three wires one.  Here is a picture of the new stator plugged on the old connector:

Not sure, but I think this is the NAPA replacement harness connector I used to replace the original female connector.
The difference is that the plastic flaps are located each sides instead up and down.  Jus have to cut them to fit in the stator plug.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
By stator, you mean inductive pickup* in English?

Purple, orange for the pickup and black for the brass ground tab just inside the rubber grommet?

This is great info Jeff.  
Gary needs to include that part number (and the module ones Bill gave) in his DSII retrofit tutorial.
There are VERY few '73-86 Fords left in the junkyard to harvest harnii from these days (50 years on)

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
ArdWrknTrk wrote
By stator, you mean distributor in English?
LOL!!
I suppose I should not trust the english diagrams from which I take the parts name?

And yes, I am talking about the female plug that goes in the distributor connector (C322).

BTW, I found that the MSD 8869 adaptor could maybe be a correct connector too.  No need to cut the plastic flaps to fit, it seems to already have them at the right place.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The illustration calls it a rotor rather than a reluctor as well.  

For those of us that speak fluent Ford it gets confusing.
Much like if I told someone their thermactor bypass needed replacing.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I would recommend replacing the muffler bearings at the same time.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Don't forget to check the Johnson rod and top off the blinker fluid!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Has anyone seen the conversion kit from PA Performance?  I was looking through some 3G conversion videos on YouTube and found a 12-year video that mentioned it.  Their approach includes an external regulator of some sort.  I can't find their actual info sheet or an explanation of their regulator box but there are bits of info throughout the video and I did find some testing documentation.

https://www.paperformance.com/1g-3g-conversion-462802c/

https://www.paperformance.com/content/1G_to_3G_Conversion.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWKpDRBBRaM
Will
--