Radio help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Radio help

Jacob84
Hey everyone, I have a radio question. So my factory radio is toast and so are the speakers. For a long while I've been wanting a functioning radio with bluetooth because I like my music and it's nice being able to have hands free talk as I drive many many miles. Anyways, I have a double din, full touchscreen radio in another vehicle we plan on selling that we still have the original radio for.

Here's my question, is there anyway that I can put that double din radio in my 84 f150?

If it's too big of a pain I'll pass and buy a Retrosound or something that'll fit but if I can save $200 and use the one I got I'd be happy. Plus since it's a full screen it has a provision for a backup camera which would be super useful
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Radio help

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott/kramttocs has installed a double din in his truck.  He described how he did it here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Camano-Experience-tp35327p46098.html.  But it isn't a bolt-in, so you'll have to decide if the view is worth the climb.  (Pun intended.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Awesome, thanks!
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
As Gary mentioned, I have one in mine and am really happy with the way it turned out although I haven't finished with the bezel yet. That's just a matter of enlarging the hole and installing a trim piece.
Does your truck have a/c?

If so, there are two ways to go about it: Cut into the plastic duct (above) or modify the dash support (below).

I prefer the dash support method but there are pros/cons to both.
Happy to provide any additional details or photos that might help.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

CliftonK
Scott, how much would you have to cut into the duct?  If it's not a lot, have you considered heating and deforming the plastic so that you wouldn't need to cut into it and then cut a piece to go inside the hole and try and seal it up?  Just a thought.
Tessa - 1982 F-100 - 300 6 with a mystery build, C6, new(to her) forged front end and not-so-stock emissions wearing a 1985 F-150 Texas Chainsaw style.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I never actually considered that option for a couple reasons. One being that there is already a noticeable difference between the vent output between driver and passenger side and I didn't want to impact it further.

It's a good idea though but not sure about how much is needed. The Big Blackie thread talks about it and has a photo of it here:
 https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1157346-big-blackie-the-build-43.html#post14608923

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio