classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about Duraspark 2 Ignition System

Jesse3877
Jim,

I was surprised about the 25 ohm reading as well. I thought that the ignition switch would be isolating the red and white wires unless you were cranking. I’m not using the “I“ terminal on solenoid. I was wondering what was still connected for there to be continuity and that’s why I pulled the “s” lead off. So then I thought maybe it was picking up continuity through the solenoid but not sure about that. If you look on the 81’ EVTM ignition diagram on the RH side of page there is a wire coming off the START position that goes to the right and ends. Not sure if that continues on another page but maybe I’m picking up whatever is on the other end if that wire.  

On a related/ unrelated topic, I purchased an aftermarket ICM, brand is BWD and part number CBE7P and it appears to have the timing retarding function working properly. If I take my my “s” lead off from solenoid And put it on battery (+) it retards my timing by 2-3 degrees. I had to hold it there for a second though so who know how effective it is during the very brief moment you are actually cranking the vehicle. A couple degrees is better than none!

Jesse

On Jun 7, 2020, at 12:53 PM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm very glad to hear things are working.  

You've done some good diagnosis and now have a better understanding of how your ignition system works.

You even surprised me with the 25 Ohm reading, but my '87 is wired a bit different.

If your power while cranking is running from the (I) terminal I see how that makes sense.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Question-about-Duraspark-2-Ignition-System-tp63925p63983.html
To unsubscribe from Question about Duraspark 2 Ignition System, click here.
NAML
RedBull
1981 F100, 73' 351W, C6, 9" 3.00L
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
From some detective work Gary has done with his scope we figured that powering that lead adds a 1 millisecond delay, thereby retarding the ignition.

Yes, it works out to about 3 degrees at cranking speed, and helps a lot with hot starts.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And thank you for that data point!  

We can now add the BWD module to a list of confirmed ignitions with functional retard.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jesse3877
Good deal and you are most welcome.
Jesse

On Jun 7, 2020, at 1:27 PM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]> wrote:

And thank you for that data point!  

We can now add the BWD module to a list of confirmed ignitions with functional retard.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Question-about-Duraspark-2-Ignition-System-tp63925p63989.html
NAML
RedBull
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jesse3877
That 5A during cranking, which bypasses the resistor wire, is less than what I expected.  As is the 3.7A for engine off & key on.  So that says the DS-II module has more drop across it than I expected.

But the other readings are pretty much to be expected since the coil is only conducting a portion of the time while it is being "charged".
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jesse3877
A little less than what I was expecting as well during cranking and running. Not sure if it would be relevant but I do have a PMGR starter. 
Regards,
Jesse 

On Jun 7, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]> wrote:

That 5A during cranking, which bypasses the resistor wire, is less than what I expected.  As is the 3.7A for engine off & key on.  So that says the DS-II module has more drop across it than I expected.

But the other readings are pretty much to be expected since the coil is only conducting a portion of the time while it is being "charged".
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Question-about-Duraspark-2-Ignition-System-tp63925p64008.html
NAML
RedBull