classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Purchase Advice

P41N
This post was updated on .
Hey All, Im super new to the world of carbureted american vehicles and the bullnose will likely be my first! I found this vehicle (1986 F-250 4x4, 460 v8 automatic with roughly 182K miles on it) about 300 miles away from me. Owner said it had said for a few months but drove ~30miles or so in the last few days with no issues. I dont have any photos of of the interior yet and am waiting for those but in the meantime, what should I ask the owner before making the long drive out? I plan to drive this truck all the way home 300 miles.

What do I need to find out about the vehicle while im looking at it in person?

Some things I have in mind:
- Check 4x4 locking hubs to make sure the 4x4 works
- Check radiator for radiator fluid
- Check engine temp to make sure its good
- Check engine oil and sniff for fuel smells
- Check oil pressure
- Check for rust
- Check for rodent nests

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

2015 GMC Canyon AT
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Purchase Advice

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nice looking truck. If it can drive 30 miles or so it should make a longer trip. But you are wise to check it over closely.

The engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant would be in the list to check. And the rear differential level would come next.

If you have a volt meter check that the battery voltage is about 14v after starting. If no volt meter look at the ammeter to see that it swings a little to the right after starting.

Check tire pressures, inc the spare. And carry a can of gas in case the system won’t switch from one tank to the other.

Good luck!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

P41N
Hey Thanks Gary for the advice! The owner put in a new main battery. Still should check yes?

If I can get it moving for 100 miles, I'll be within range of having AAA tow the rest of the way home for me if needed... or just have them do it to save on fuel! :)
2015 GMC Canyon AT
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
These trucks have a very problematic second generation alternator.
It's wise to check the charging system is functioning properly.

Check the date codes on the tires.

Also check that the truck runs on both tanks (switch on the left of heater control)
Drive at least a few miles on each tank, front and rear.

Try the fan on all speeds and smell for smoke in the cab.
You don't want leaves or a mouse nest in the blower resistor to burn the truck down.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I went with AAA when I started driving these trucks just for the towing, so I understand.  But hopefully you won't need it.  

As for the battery, you may not get very far if the alternator or its connections are bad.  As Jim said, they are problematic and Ford lost a law suit over them.  So check to see that the ammeter moves up a little bit just after starting, which indicates it is working.

As for the mouse nest, I'd forgotten that bit.  But if they've invaded you may well find a nest up against the resistor pack that determines the blower motor speed.  So turn on the heater and turn the fan down to low or thereabouts and see if you get a burning smell in the cab.  If so you'll need to pull the resistor pack and/or the blower motor and clean things out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

P41N
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
How do you check for alternator issues? where can I located an ammeter or is that something I need to buy?
2015 GMC Canyon AT
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, first see that it's charging properly (usually 14.3V ) while running.
Look closely at the output plug on the alternator (rectangular plug, two large blk/or wires and one wh/bk)
The common failure is that this plug melts and then the wiring harness catches fire when the melted plug allows the output wires to ground against the case.
We call it the 'fire starter'...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by P41N
P41N wrote
where can I located an ammeter or is that something I need to buy?
I failed to address this. Gary is talking about the ammeter that is found in the lower right of every 1986 F-series pickup.
D= discharge  C= charging.    
These instruments never really worked well, and the common fix for the dangerous 2Gen alternator has many converting them to a voltmeter that actually shows you something worthwhile.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
ArdWrknTrk wrote
P41N wrote
where can I located an ammeter or is that something I need to buy?
[...] has many converting them to a voltmeter that actually shows you something worthwhile.
Jim, I remember you mentioned me this guy who converts ammeter to voltmeter, preserving the classic look.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yup
Fortunately, for me, by 1987 Ford had figured out how worthless their ammeter was and they started using a voltmeter.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by P41N
Nice looking truck!

First item, gas mileage, I have gotten as high as 12.5 mpg with Darth, but that is with EFI and an E4OD. With the carbureted 460 and C6, 10 was pretty normal unless I was towing the 5th wheel, then it dropped to 8.

Re Ammeter/Volt meter. Once alternators became standard, the old ammeter really wasn't super useful depending on how it was wired. FWIW, you haven't really experienced qualms about charging unless you have had a vehicle with a generator where you come to a stop, lights dim, heater fan slows, and if you have electric wipers they slow. My 1958 F100, if I didn't take it on a nice long run once a week, by the end of the second week in winter, it almost needed a push, fortunately, both of the two engines I had in it would catch easily, even at slow cranking and resulting low voltage to the ignition.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
If anyone wants one I have one of those. No longer needed as I went with Autometer.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.