classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Planning The Migration - Input Requested

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It looks like we will get to move to the AWS servers in the next few weeks. So I'm thinking through what the process is, when to do it, how to alert people that it is going to happen, etc. And I'd love your input. First, the process looks to be something like this:
  1. Lock Forum: I have to lock the forum to ensure no one posts while we are doing the migration or their post(s) will be lost
  2. Take Backup: I click a link to start a backup being generated, and this usually takes ~30 minutes
  3. Download Backup: An email will be sent to me to let me download the backup, and that can take 1 - 2 hours depending on network traffic.
  4. Upload Backup: Then I have to upload the backup to the AWS servers, and this takes 2 - 4 hours as my upload speed isn't nearly as fast as my download speed.

Meanwhile I'll be redirecting the garysgaragemahal.com URL to the AWS servers, modifying some macros, and doing other minor housekeeping to have us ready to go.

So that says we could be down 6 hours or so. I'm wondering what day and hours would be best to do that. Maybe starting at 6:00 PM on a Sunday night here in Okiehoma? That would make it 4:00 PM for those on the West Coast, midnight or later for those in the UK or Europe, and Monday morning for those in New Zealand or Australia.

What do y'all think? Is that a reasonable day and time to be down? Is there a better one? And what's the best way to let people know we will be down?

Wait! I just had an idea. I could put a banner on the web page that the forum is on a few days before the move and explain in the banner when we will be down. Then, while we are down I can put this in place of the forum:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Planning The Migration - Input Requested

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I've found a scrolling banner that seems to work.  I put it at the top of the forum page briefly to see what it would look like, and the screenshot below  shows that.  Each page or thread of the forum would have that at the top and/or the bottom of the page for a few days ahead of the migration just so everyone knows what is going on.

And if you want to see what it looks like in reality go to Bullnose Forum/Test Forum and you can see the banner in action.  Hover over it and the scrolling stops.  Click on the arrows to go to the right or left.

And I also put in the RCA Indian-head test pattern on that page.  Many of us old timers saw that before or after a TV station's programming was on the air - back in the black and white era.    I'll put it in place of the forum for the time that we are down as otherwise the page will come up but there won't be a forum on it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, the test pattern was the first thing that caught my eye. You do realize it had a definite purpose don't you?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Didn’t the central place for each of the networks send it and then the local stations used it for alignment?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary, I think the hours for the outage, as posted, should be fine. No time can be "best" for all and we can adjust.

Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into this undertaking!
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That and the old TVs needed tweaking fairly frequently. I can remember my dad getting up early or staying up so he could adjust the horizontal and vertical size and linearity. Some of the adjustments required moving the yoke coils to eliminate a bow in the top and bottom of the screen.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, David.  

Bill - Yes, if a set had been moved it needed to be adjusted.  There was height, width, and pin cushioning, IIRC.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
Gary, I think the hours for the outage, as posted, should be fine. No time can be "best" for all and we can adjust.

Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into this undertaking!
Agreed on all counts
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, whenever it is best for you and the people you are working with. We can/will adjust to the outage.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
^ What they said!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, thanks guys.  Sounds like we have a plan.  Now we just need to have a security certificate so we can execute said plan.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I notice (don't recall seeing it before) https://www preceding garysgaragemahal now. Does this mean there is a security certificate for the site?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes!  When we were moved to the S1 servers on Nabble they couldn’t get things working correctly so we could log on to the embedded site.  So after I complained LOUDLY they turned httpS on and that solved the problem.

Now we are awaiting Pedro figuring out how to get us a certificate for the AWS servers and we’ll be ready to move.