Pick's 86 F-350 Styleside Crew Cab

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pick's 86 F-350 Styleside Crew Cab

Picks86F350-351W
Hi all, I figured I would add this forum since I plan on doing more research on the truck I'm taking off my friend's hands. So far I plan on changing the drooping headliner, steering wheel replacement, adding sound deadening insulation ( I dislike road noise), changing out seats to match later (both are bench but 2 different colors - back appears to be stock),  getting exterior paint re-done and probably changing the color on the stock dash and interior to red using the Colorbond paint.
I still have to have my husband look at the transmission since we know it was funky and decide if it is better to go with automatic or not. I haven't driven a stick in over 20 years. Few questions -

- I wondered if anyone had any thoughts to places that do body paint, granted I am up here in the Pacific Northwest and I am not from here. I know is my husband said not Maaco since they are not good quality.
I was going to try to go with the original Canadian white color since I have the specs for that thanks to here.

- I've decided I  probably won't replace the radio since I like my personal music collection which can utilizing my Bluetooth speaker. The dash has mostly been ripped out and currently a gps unit is attached. Has anyone done anything like build a box as cubby shelves for the inside of the dash? I am handy with wood so trying to decide the overall look I would like and if it would be safe since wires and wood could possibly become a fire hazard. Unfortunately growing up no one had a truck so I can't recall what front dashes looked like originally and finding interior pictures are difficult.

Current Dash situation,

- Also last thing - my friend has the original carpet pulled out and stored but I don't do carpet at all mostly due to my asthma and dislike for the uncleanliness of carpet. Anyone here do anything like rhinoline or non-skid coat in some form instead of carpet?

Thanks and have a good day!
1986 F350 Styleside Crew Cab built in Canada with 5.8 L V8 351 Windsor engine, current exterior white, interior color Chestnut and black benches
Aspirations of white and red and black just like my kitchen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pick's 86 F-350 Styleside Crew Cab

85lebaront2
Administrator
Welcome to the group! I am almost as far from you as possible and still be in the US, Eastern Shore of VA. On a crew cab, front and back seats are the same from the factory, so can be swapped. If you stay with a manual trans, see if you can find a ZF 5 speed, 5th is overdrive, automatic, C6 is the easiest and strongest for a carbureted 351W. FWIW, headliner will come out of the passenger side door once all the trim is off. On sound deadening, I put a layer of thermal barrier for a house (the shiny aluminum stuff) across both front and rear footwell areas and a long strip over where the exhaust runs (I have a 460 and it gets very hot in that area).

Not wanting to put carpet back is going to make it very hard to get rid of road noise. Tire selection will help, mine luckily takes the same tires the local school buses run so they are easy to find and not too noisy. Weatherstrip is probably dead after 31 years, front is available aftermarket, back, no such luck. Later models have sound deadening padding in the door panels, 86 does not, bed liner inside the doors will help and a layer of thin carpet padding glued on the back of the door panels will emulate the later doors.

Good luck with it!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pick's 86 F-350 Styleside Crew Cab

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Picks86F350-351W
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  Are you called Pick?  

Your truck is almost the size of Bill's, although his is a dually. As for the transmission, I'm going to assume that it is the NP435 or T19 with a granny 1st and no overdrive. If you decide to go to an auto you'll have three choices: C6, AOD, or E4OD. The C6 is stout, but it is a gas hog as the torque converter doesn't lock up and there's no overdrive. The AOD wasn't put behind the 351 because initially it wasn't strong enough to stand up to it. But it can be built to do so, and it does lock up and has an overdrive so is much better on fuel than the C6. Then there's the E4OD, which has both the lockup torque converter and overdrive, but requires an expensive computer to run it.

On the flooring, I don't remember if any of us here have done a spray-in liner, but I know some guys have and it works well. However, deleting carpet is counter to killing road noise. The floorboard is the place where most of the road noise enters, and the jute padding does a good job of damping that. Then the carpet does a good job of absorbing it. So, just spraying using a liner is going to make it noisy. It might be possible to fully cover the floor with something like Dynamat and then spray a liner on top of it, but I'm not sure that the liner will flex as much as the Dynamat when you step on it. And I don't think the Dynamat will last long without protection, so maybe put a full-length mat over it?

I don't know anything about paint or body work up there. Sorry. But, I'm glad you found the paint code.

As for the box, I'm not sure what you are asking. But Reamer has a 3D-printed patch for the speaker hole that we've thought about modifying so it would be a catchall. Would that be something like what you are thinking about?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Pick's 86 F-350 Styleside Crew Cab

Picks86F350-351W

I go by Phoenix usually, Pick was my husband’s grandfather who also went by Gentleman Jim (he was a known archer back in the 60s etc.)

I just typically write Pickfamily on things.  I haven’t had a chance to look under the hood yet since my buddy is a contractor and has materials surrounding it. It took a bit just for me to climb into it the other day to get those pictures.

I figure my use for it will be towing a camper and grocery store type errands until we are doing hunting/fishing etc. We plan on selling our house soon so figured hunting would be a no go until we would have our freezers up and going again. We can live at the rv park on our local base and pay off a bunch of stuff since my husband retires from the Navy next year. We plan on looking for more land to possibly grow a orchard.

Thanks for the ideas on the flooring, perhaps I can think of a eco-friendly waterproof material that is sound cushioning or another style of carpet per se. I figure I will get into ways of improving the heat/air later – since I am not sure what the situation is yet and we get short term hot summers but mostly cold long winters.

As for the box idea, yes I was thinking of something that provides a catchall type feature -  when our Jeep had a new style stereo put in the kit they had put in created a small area big enough for my husband to put his wallet and phone into.

Thanks for the added ideas to ponder, granted I was up until 3 am looking into stuff because I couldn’t sleep, so I apologize if I half made sense.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, September 1, 2017 6:18 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Pick's 86 F-350 Styleside Crew Cab

Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  Are you called Pick?  http://n8.nabble.com/images/smiley/anim_handshake.gif

Your truck is almost the size of Bill's, although his is a dually. As for the transmission, I'm going to assume that it is the NP435 or T19 with a granny 1st and no overdrive. If you decide to go to an auto you'll have three choices: C6, AOD, or E4OD. The C6 is stout, but it is a gas hog as the torque converter doesn't lock up and there's no overdrive. The AOD wasn't put behind the 351 because initially it wasn't strong enough to stand up to it. But it can be built to do so, and it does lock up and has an overdrive so is much better on fuel than the C6. Then there's the E4OD, which has both the lockup torque converter and overdrive, but requires an expensive computer to run it.

On the flooring, I don't remember if any of us here have done a spray-in liner, but I know some guys have and it works well. However, deleting carpet is counter to killing road noise. The floorboard is the place where most of the road noise enters, and the jute padding does a good job of damping that. Then the carpet does a good job of absorbing it. So, just spraying using a liner is going to make it noisy. It might be possible to fully cover the floor with something like Dynamat and then spray a liner on top of it, but I'm not sure that the liner will flex as much as the Dynamat when you step on it. And I don't think the Dynamat will last long without protection, so maybe put a full-length mat over it?

I don't know anything about paint or body work up there. Sorry. But, I'm glad you found the paint code.

As for the box, I'm not sure what you are asking. But Reamer has a 3D-printed patch for the speaker hole that we've thought about modifying so it would be a catchall. Would that be something like what you are thinking about?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Pick-s-86-F-350-Styleside-Crew-Cab-tp1047p1055.html

To unsubscribe from Pick's 86 F-350 Styleside Crew Cab, click here.
NAML

1986 F350 Styleside Crew Cab built in Canada with 5.8 L V8 351 Windsor engine, current exterior white, interior color Chestnut and black benches
Reply | Threaded
|

Picks86F350-351W
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
So you used the peel and seal stuff basically?  I had looked at the FTE and another forum before and seen that I could even go up to a 94 in seats that should fit without re-drilling holes or brackets, even Bronco seats from what I was reading. I read what Gary had written as well and I forgot about the whole carpet does do some sound dampening, funny how in a Jeep for a few years will make a person forget that it can help with some of the noise. I am going to be rethinking the process for that. When we get snow or ice here I know that I don’t like the way my feet slide a bit inside the Jeep even with some rubber mats. So I am trying to decide a good solution for that as well. It seems like it rains here about half the year slightly less.  
Thanks for the ideas. I have lots more to decide on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Picks86F350-351W
Phoenix - Got it.  (I really like to address people by their names rather than there "screen name".)

As said, Ron/reamer created a speaker patch, as shown below, and it can be painted to match the dash.  I did the CAD work and he did everything else.  Anyway, we've toyed with re-drawing with a dropped center so you could toss a phone, or wallet, or sun glasses in there.  Would that be of interest?  Not saying we'll do it, or do it any time soon, but am wondering if that is what you had in mind.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Picks86F350-351W
Hi Gary, not quite since this is up top, I was looking at possibly building something where the radio would have gone, since I have a empty area there. Funny how the picture didn’t show up on tablet or phone but does on the computer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Which pic is that which doesn't show?

As for the box, I see said the blind man. 😉

Reply | Threaded
|

Picks86F350-351W
The picture you had included of the speaker in the top of the dash.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think it is because you are responding via email. Click the link at the bottom of you email message to actually go to the forum and see if the pic shows. I'm confident it will on iphone, ipad, or Windows computer - it does for me.

But, I've read that email systems treat phones, tablets, and real computers differently. Some assume that if you are mobile you don't want pictures. Others allow you to decide, but default mobile to no pics and computers to pics.

Reply | Threaded
|

Picks86F350-351W
That does seem to be part of the issue. Also I didn't realize by email it also includes everything prior. Usually I have it set to download images automatically , I have a mixture of Windows/Mac/Android devices.

Thanks Bill for the image of the dash I wasn't able to see that until going to forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd like to turn the automatic quote inclusion off for email responses as it sure makes the threads longer. It would be nice if the default was off but you could turn it on.

Did you notice how the email response had the dash patch stretched?  😜

Reply | Threaded
|

Picks86F350-351W
Yes I did notice the stretch and I was able to edit them to make them shorter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that helped a bunch. Thanks!