Outing For Big Blue or Blue?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
87 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Outing For Big Blue or Blue?

Bruno2
When are you going to load huck on the trailer? Today is crappy here in Broken Arrow.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dunno. But Iā€™m actually down your way judging debates. Came down 169 at 7:30 and saw many wrecks - and watched one happen. Really really slick overpasses.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Reviving this thread briefly.  My wife's cousin called again yesterday about the next phase of the project that prompted this thread.  And that is to bring his '65 Malibu to Skiatook for John, the paint/body guru, to work his magic on.  Looks like that may happen a week from today, July 9th.

It looks like Blue will get the nod this time.  Big Blue's engine is suspect, having bogged on me a couple of times pulling the trailer recently.  I may have fixed that with the shield between the header and fuel supply line, but don't know.  And I sure don't want to have any problems.

So the plan this time is to pull the winch off BB and install it on the trailer, and take the aux battery out of BB to run the winch.  But, I need to think through how to connect the battery to the winch, and I don't really want to take the time to make up special cables.

Ahhh!  Duh!  If I take the aux battery out of BB then I can take the cable that runs from that battery down to the winch.  

And, removing the winch, battery, and cable contribute to the disassembling of Big Blue that needs to be done anyway.  So, it is a win/win!

So, for the next few days I'll be busy getting ready for the trip.  Gotta remove & reinstall all of those things as well as get all of the straps, chains, and tools out of Big Blue and into Blue.  Plus, I'm going to take the air tank fully charged as well as a small 110v compressor, just in case.  (If Big Blue had the on-board air system already that might make the difference on which truck gets to go.)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Wouldn't it ultimately be easier to put a tool box on the trailer to keep the straps, chains, trailer lug wrench etc..?

You could probably find one of those at the HF sale as well.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Road trip!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim - I've thought about the tool box issue quite a bit.  In fact, when I was looking for a trailer the plan was to have a tool box on it.  But the way this trailer is designed with the jack in the middle of the tongue the only place for a tool box would be on the bed.

I've thought about placing one there, but I like having the chain, straps, etc in Big Blue's tool box as there are times I take him places w/o the trailer and need those things.  After his "transformation" he'll be the go-to guy to pull the trailer in most situations as he'll have the on-board air, front hitch, bumper-mounted winch, aux battery, etc., so it makes sense to have everything in his tool box.  

David - Yes, road trip!  Janey's cousin thinks I'm wonderful.  But in reality I'm just having fun using the trailer, winch, etc.  Besides, I'm doing what Ford's do best - tow Chevys.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So what do you use to keep all these items organized and out of the weather?

Maybe a rocket canister?

http://armysurpluswarehouse.com/120mm-mortar-can/

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-81mm-brown-ammo-can-used?a=2194066&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgezoBRDNARIsAGzEfe7UexFg8fB2sSohHNsfur8fNZUFzF-4m0hI1jhkgHRJo15u8LL3hKAaAozwEALw_wcB

Edit: I see where you said "in Big Blue's tool.box'
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Out of the weather is easy as the tool box is tight, although I should replace the weatherstripping.  But, those canisters are a good possibility for organization within.  Right now I'm using a canvas bag for some of the things, but it doesn't like the weight that's in it.

However, getting things out of the toolbox is easiest if you can do it one-handed.  And, you don't want handles on the sides as they are both hard to get to and it is too easy to hit your hand on the lip of the toolbox as you pull something out.  (And with the thin skin of age and the effects of the baby aspirin I'm on I bleed easily anymore.)

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I noted you said in BB's box when I read through the post.

I hear there are these things made of tanned animal hide to protect the hide of your hands.

I usually keep a pair on the floor of my truck between the sticks
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I hear there are these things made of tanned animal hide to protect the hide of your hands.

I usually keep a pair on the floor of my truck between the sticks
Big Blue is a fancy truck and he has door pockets, which house at least one if not two pair of those tanned-hides.  But his driver isn't smart enough to know when to don them.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well Li'l Red is a bare bones. 'Custom' so we don't have any of those fancy amenities.

But, gloves .. we have!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The second set would look good your truck, Jim. šŸ‘Œ

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ahhhh,. $86 and the right year!

David really has his finger on the pulse of eBay.

Thanks for the tip!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Lol!

No more wear than the rest of her.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got a bit done towards the trip.  Pulled the winch, auxiliary battery, and associated wiring off Big Blue.  And I installed the winch on the trailer and plugged the cable into it that'll connect to the battery.  And speaking of the battery, it is on the trickle charger so it'll be hot.

Charged up the air tank and will also take a small AC-powered compressor just in case.

Got the ratchet straps, chains, and boomers out of Big Blue and put them in the tote.  Also pulled the Craftsman toolbox out of Big Blue's tool box and ensured it has a full set of tools in it.  And I added the big battery-powered impact so we can easily change tires and wheels.  Also included the floor jack and will have a bottle jack for the trailer.  Plus the 4-way.  And some of those tanned hides.  

Anyone have suggestions?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How long has it been sitting without moving?

Seized brakes are a distinct possibility.

At least it hasn't been 'rottin' down in da hollar for the past few years'

Does your trailer spare have the usual Chevy five lug pattern? (IDEK what was 'usual' for this vintage)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It had been sitting in a barn, which is in da hollar, for many years.  But this thread, which started on March 13th, 2018, was a result of my being asked to come and get the 1960 C10 and take it up to the paint/body man.  However, that truck was guarding the door to the barn and we knew once it was gone so would be the Malibu.

So we moved the truck, aired up the Malibu's tires, winched it up on the trailer, and took it into town and put it in a storage facility.  Therefore it has only been about 16 months since it rolled, and it rolled nicely.  Given that I'm thinking it'll be easy to winch it up on the trailer, cinch it down, and head home.

But something is bound to go wrong, so I'm trying to think ahead and have the right tools with which to right the wrong.

As for the trailer's spare, it is on a six-lug wheel and is a substantial tire.  Way bigger than the little Malibu would take.  The axles are 7000 lb units, so each tire is capable of about what the Malibu weighs.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, at least it rolls (or did)

I guess I never thought about how heavy duty your trailer is.
Is it the same pattern as Big Blue?
Do you know what pattern the trailer wheels are?
 Jim,