Opinions Wanted: Transmission Pans

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opinions Wanted: Transmission Pans

Dorsai
Did they give you a reason for preferring the cork gasket?  That sounds pretty weird.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I am also using the TCI pan on my c6 and am very happy with it. I didn't ask them about it but the shop that just rebuilt my transmission (and thus reinstalled the TCI pan) also used a cork gasket. So maybe there is something to it?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Maybe the transmission shop would rather glue a cheap cork gasket to the pan, rather than trying to justify $27, and having to line up the holes while juggling the gasket, pan, bolts and wrench over head?
Much easier to put two bolts through on opposite corners and lift it, finger tighten and proceed.

Time is money.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
In reply to this post by Dorsai
I have a TCI unit that I purchased from Jegs.

If you use the search function on this forum and type in "Changing C6 Pan" you should see that thread as the first result. Lots of info (and links) there.

NOTE: I tried to copy the URL but it would only provide "www.garysgaragemahal.com" in the browser and not the actual URL of the thread.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Quarterwave wrote
I tried to copy the URL but it would only provide "www.garysgaragemahal.com" in the browser and not the actual URL of the thread.
You have to copy the "permalink".  For the thread it is at the top right of the page.  For a given post hit More and select Permalink.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Ah ha!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Changing-C6-Pan-tp23587.html 
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  And, you can also do it this way: Changing C6 Pan.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
Ah, good thread...thanks for pointing me to it.

Although as much money as I'm spending lately on items I wasn't planning to replace, I may put this off for a while longer yet.

I assume your replacement was successful?  What fluid did you end up going with, the Mercon V?
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Well, so far. From what I can tell, the pan is good... and it has a drain plug!

If you end up doing the job yourself, there is also an access point on the front of the trans housing that has a drain bolt for the torque converter behind it (you may need to rotate the engine to see the bolt in the access port). Pulling that bolt helps to drain a lot of the fluid from the torque converter.

After a lot of research, I ended up using "Valvoline DEXRON/MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid" which was about $14 per gallon from Amazon (I bought 4 gallons and used about 3 and a bit).
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims