Odd Ammeter Movement

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Odd Ammeter Movement

Raywilson
81 F150. Something I've never noticed before. My ammeter, after starting, goes past C for a couple beats before settling back to just above neutral. I replaced my regulator, no difference except the guage no longer bouces slightly at idle. Is that normal?  It's always something...
Ray
1981 F150 XLT Ranger Trailer Special
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Odd Ammeter Movement

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The regulator should bring the battery up to ~14.4V after starting, and that takes current.  So the ammeter should show it, as it is.  If it didn't use to do that but does now with the new regulator then your regulator was bad.  And it shouldn't bounce at idle.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
Thanks for that. It is and was charging properly @ 14.4. The boucing is gone. So all is well...
Thank you
Ray
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yep
That's how it should actually show

Completely normal.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
Thanks for all your help.  I'm getting the truck sorted out slowly but surely. Just figured out (or read) why it's been difficult to put gas in the new tanks sometimes. My filler hose to the front tank is mostly horizontal and it needs a slope. So if I filled where the truck was on a slight angle it would fill properly. If it was flat, it was impossible. I'm going to see if I can shove the hose further up the gas cap to give it some drop. So, I've got a new tach, trip meter and gas fill dilemma figgered out ish. And a sunny day...
Ray
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Congratulations!

Progress is Good!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
In reply to this post by Raywilson
Kinda hard to beat a sunny day.
  Glad it's working out. 👍
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
69 Merc Montego convertible 393 4V Cleveland
86 LTD Crown Vic 2 door sedan 347 AOD
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Raywilson
I stopped for gas today at a little single island gas station which has a sloped driveway. I got the spot where the driver's side was lower. I got almost a dollars' worth in and 45 cents worth on the ground. got my dollar and 35 cents receipt and when the other side opened, I swapped. filled it up quickly with the passenger side low.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
In order to remedy my horizontal gas tank hose issue, I'll need to remove it from the tank itself and cut an inch or so off the tank end so it will have slope. That's what the guy did where i got my info about the horizontal filler hose being the problem for refueling. It's a newish tank so at some later date I'll do that.
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have found no true remedy for this. the filler hose goes horizontal between the bed and frame at best. if the truck has mis fit or poorly fitted parts it just gets worse. the bullnose filler assemblies are different from the 87-97 series and if those get used, they will not fit right at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
So the smart thing is to carry a 4x10 to park on when getting gas. Most gas stations tarmacs are pretty flat these days
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The smartEST thing to do, would probably be switch over to '87 up filler necks and tubes.

They fill down the middle and vent in the circumference.... 💡
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have considered this also but the top hat flange where the filler tube mounts to the bed side is square to the tube on the bull, yet the next generation is not. it's a whole new fitment issue. and with the plastic overflow box on the bull, being twisted into "out of shape" is not going to be good for an already old and fragile part. 87 and newer are steel and welded to the bedside at the odd angle.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I wouldn't say "at an odd angle".

They're right where they need to be, to keep from having these fill problems.

A few members have "glued" the later fill boxes behind the door, inside the bed.
 Jim,