classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Nothing Special's 2022 Sand Hollow Utah trip

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That looks more like a neighborhood than a campground.  Don't think I've ever seen one that nice.

And if your copilot is already looking at other things to do there I'll bet you are going back, soon.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice trip Bob!

Yeah, that campground is nice.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
We kind of joked that it looks like the set of a suburban neighborhood from a '70s sitcom.  Or maybe from an episode of "The Twilight Zone" since all of the houses were gone!  But it was very nice.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Nothing Special wrote
Day 2 wasn't a 'wheeling day... fortunately!  It rained that day.  All day.  Hard.  With flash flood warnings.  We went to Zion National Park on day 2 and got soaked.  But on the plus side, the crowds were manageable!  And we got to see Zion in a different way than most, with raging rivers and dozens of waterfalls.  It was really cool seeing it like that!  Of course it's really cool seeing it the normal way too, and we didn't get to do that.  So I guess we'll have to go back some time!
In July I took a trip from California > Ft. Collins CO > Utah > Nevada towing a decrepit Coleman pop-up with my Mazda CX-9 and we spent a few nights each at Zion and Bryce (I should probably post it...). Was my first time in Utah, we took scenic byways through 95% of the state, I can't wait to go back. Zion was beautiful but the crowds were awful. We took the 6AM shuttle to hike the Narrows and on the way out there must have been a few thousand people in the river... People didn't have respect at the campground either, I had people walking straight through my site, people washing dishes at the water spickets (I got frustrated waiting to fill my water jug at one point so I just barged in and interrupted a couple's dishwashing to fill it), and the restrooms were so badly thrashed they were unusable. Next time I definitely want to stick to the north end of the park and potentially do some backpacking to avoid the rush because it's truly one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. Yosemite is the same way in many respects.

The photos you have of the emerald pools are crazy! Mid-July they were pretty underwhelming and I think a landslide took out the top one. It rained every day on our own trip, but never hard enough to see the runoff.

As for Bryce, I was totally blown away! The pine forests were a nice reprieve from the desert. We did the Fairlyland Loop trail which was incredible.

In the future I want to do like you did, and hit some trails on my Suzuki enduro. I don't think Utah is a place I'd ever get bored in.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto