6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New to this site, long time lurker

Tarheel Blue
To borrow a phrase from a friend,
What up fellers!
I bought my truck back in '09 and am the 2nd owner.
Its in pretty good shape but still need/ want to do a lot to it. For instance, as Fuzz Face knows, I acquired a low mileage EFI 300 and am in the process of totally rebuilding it. Nothing special, just hoping for more reliability and slightly more performance. Nothing crazy with the internals, stack cam but reused the EFI pistons for a bit different compression. Ported head to match up better to the headers and intake and thats about it. I am playing with designing my own serpentine belt setup, relocation the A/C compressor, power steering pump, Alternator, etc all in the hopes of lowering everythin to "below the valve cover"
I've had an itch to do two things that might make it stand out a bit from the crowd while making it more enjoyable (for me) to drive.
First is that for some reason I think that putting an Autolite 4100 on top of my Offy C and EFI headers should perk it up just enough for me. Second, is where I also got another strange idea, you see, I wanted to convert to an automatic but for one reason or another, didn't like the more conventional options. I decided to be somewhat of a pioneer and found a 4R70W and completely rebuilt that to install once I drop the new 300 in.
That should be enough for now except to say that I'm a retired Architect living in Apex, NC
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New to this site, long time lurker

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Kurt!  Glad you joined.  

I took the liberty of adding you to our member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) since you gave your town.  

Your truck sounds like quite a project.  Hope you are going to start a thread on it.  And, how are you going to control the tranny?  At first I thought you were doing the EEC computer trick like Bill has done and I'm doing.  But then you said "4100".  So, how are you going to do that?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
Welcome Kurt!  

Glad you've come over to the bright side.  ðŸ˜‰

That will be an interesting project, to get the 4R70 to play nice with a carbureted DSII engine.
Which controller do you think you're going with?

Retired architect?
Can you ever retire from a line of work like that?
Heck, I was only a student architecture/engineering and I still pick features and details and file them away for later.
Cooper Union's program had you working in the field and I went on to enjoy the work more than trying to meet the mixed and conflicting demands of customers.... but I still enjoy design. 😃
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary!
Yup, it sure is a project and unfortunately not my only one. We bought a beach house about 2 years ago that needed some remodeling. Got the place almost done and then Florence decided that I needed to try it again.
I will be controlling the tranny w/ a Baumann transmissions/ US Shift/ Quick 4
I've mocked-up the throttle cable with a bellcrank system to be able to incorporate the TPS and had to borrow an output shaft sensor that would play nice with the stock speedo cable.
My biggest challenge at this point is fabricating all of the brackets to support all of the re-positioned devices that are part of the custom serpentine belt layout.
Oh, and I just got in from pressure test the cooling system on the current engine, looks like I get to replace my water pump! Yay!
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks Jim,
Oh yes, I'm retired, no problem there. My problem was that work was getting in the way of doing the things that I want to do rather than the things that others wanted me to do.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E