New member from Eastern Canada

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New member from Eastern Canada

Peter Taker

This is my 1986 F-150 I bought last fall in Gaspésie, QC. It's 2wd with a 300/4spd at the moment. Once winter is over, I plan on swapping in a 351W from a '1994 F-150 along with the tranny and transfer case to make it 4x4. I also have a 2003 F-250 for the heavy duty axles. So far that's the plan, i'll see how the swap goes this spring, but hopefully it'll be back on the roads before the end of summer. I'll probably attempt to paint it myself, i'm thinking black and leaving some parts chrome to keep it a bit classy.

And I guess that's it. I've got a big project ahead of me. A lot of reading, a lot of searching, a lot of wiring. Plus nearly 60 years of hot rodding to catch up on small block Fords. This is gonna be fun lol.

Anyone else here from Canada?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New member from Eastern Canada

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Peter - Welcome!  

As for others in Canada, the answer is yes.  You can see that on the member's map.  (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map.)  And I'd be happy to add you to it if you'd like.  Just give me a town/city.

Nice truck.    And interesting plans.  Is the '94 an automatic?  It'll surely be EFI, so are you planning on swapping it to a carb?

Yes, it should be fun.  Be sure to start a thread in the main section so you can document and we can follow your "fun".  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Peter Taker
Peter Taker wrote
Anyone else here from Canada?
Few regular Canucks on here Peter! I'm in Nova Scotia, and there's Vinny in NL (You'll probably want to talk to Vinny regarding your proposed engine swap, he is really good with the EFI trucks). There's RAY in SK, and Gtanns in BC has a nice 4x4 Bullnose project currently. There are others, but you might be the first from Quebec;).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taker
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
For Gary ---> Magdalen Islands, QC

I'm not exactly sure what i'll do yet, but probably stay EFI for reliability. If i can be in the 300hp range i'll be satisfied for now. It's going to be my daily driver for the winter. Automatic is a must, manual trucks are just a pain imo. I won't be doing that much offroad, so automatic is just fine with me. Whenever i feel like beating on something i got another toy for that. Here's some pics of my baby.

You've done a great job on this website, i assume it must have been very time consuming.
Thanks for the help !
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Peter - You are now on the map.  But, just barely as there's precious little land there!  Wow.  However, you, Cory, and Vinny when he comes up for the summer are close to each other.

On the '94, it should be an E4OD - right?  That requires a controller, and since you are retaining the EFI you'll be good to go.  But there will be a little bit of wiring, and your to-be neighbor Vinny appears to be experienced in that.  

And, nice Mustang!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taker
It’ll be a headache for sure, but I should be fine. I studied as a diesel mechanic for heavy duty trucks and now work at a diesel power plant. I’ll mostly have more questions about gasoline engines than electrical wiring.

From: Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:26 AM
To: Peter Taker
Subject: Re: New member from Eastern Canada

Peter - You are now on the map.  But, just barely as there's precious little land there!  Wow.  However, you, Cory, and Vinny when he comes up for the summer are close to each other.

On the '94, it should be an E4OD - right?  That requires a controller, and since you are retaining the EFI you'll be good to go.  But there will be a little bit of wiring, and your to-be neighbor Vinny appears to be experienced in that.  
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-member-from-Eastern-Canada-tp21396p21493.html
To unsubscribe from New member from Eastern Canada, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like you know what you are doing.  I want to do something similar, so hope you'll document it thoroughly.

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taker
Sure, I can do that. It shouldn’t be hard to salvage an old F-150 from the 90’s somewheres. They’re giving trucks away down here haha. Easier for them for me to pick them up than to pay to have them towed to the scrap yard.

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:40 PM

Looks like you know what you are doing.  I want to do something similar, so hope you'll document it thoroughly.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-member-from-Eastern-Canada-tp21396p21539.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Peter Taker
Hey Peter,

Here is a pic of the wife and I when we visited the Maggies back in 2011. I forget which end of the island we were at here, but you will know.

Gary, if you're still following along, Peter lives in a very interesting place. It may look somewhat close on the map, but he's two islands away from me and probably a full day of travel including the ferries.

A unique treat found in the Atlantic end of Quebec is Pizza aux fruits de mer (Seafood Pizza)! Did I get the translation right Peter? Anytime I've traveled to the Gaspe or eastern parts of Quebec, I'd eat seafood pizza every day...lol. Had to go to Port Cartier last winter and had Seafood Pizza every night while I was there;).

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taker
It’s actually not that bad. Last summer I went to Halifax and it took me about 9 hours including the 5 hour ferry to PEI.

From: Rembrant [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, February 1, 2019 6:24 AM

Hey Peter,

Here is a pic of the wife and I when we visited the Maggies back in 2011. I forget which end of the island we were at here, but you will know.

Gary, if you're still following along, Peter lives in a very interesting place. It may look somewhat close on the map, but he's two islands away from me and probably a full day of travel including the ferries.

A unique treat found in the Atlantic end of Quebec is Pizza aux fruits de mer (Seafood Pizza)! Did I get the translation right Peter? Anytime I've traveled to the Gaspe or eastern parts of Quebec, I'd eat seafood pizza every day...lol. Had to go to Port Cartier last winter and had Seafood Pizza every night while I was there;).

In rehab: 1984 F150 2wd Flareside pickup. Original 302 with GT40 heads, Comp Cam XE256H, Holley 4bbl, and BBK shorty headers. M5OD-R2 5spd trans swap. Plain Jane with no A/C and no radio.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-member-from-Eastern-Canada-tp21396p21560.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Yeah that’s not bad at all. I guess it’s just the drive to souris and then you can relax on the ferry. If you make it down again be sure to let me Know:)

When you get to your engine swap maybe I’ll take the truck up to see you anyway to help you get rid of some bullnose parts!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'm following along (I'm subscribed to the whole of the forum, so get email alerts when anything is posted.)

I didn't realize that it took so long to travel.  But I should have known.  Anyway, yesterday when I showed my wife, Janey, where y'all are she said "Let's go!"  That's a region of the world we've not explored and would like to do so.

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taker

We’re surrounded by kilometres and kilometres of beaches. That’s why I need a 4x4. 😅

Sent: Friday, February 1, 2019 8:55 AM

Yes, I'm following along (I'm subscribed to the whole of the forum, so get email alerts when anything is posted.)

I didn't realize that it took so long to travel.  But I should have known.  Anyway, yesterday when I showed my wife, Janey, where y'all are she said "Let's go!"  That's a region of the world we've not explored and would like to do so.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-member-from-Eastern-Canada-tp21396p21570.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's cool.  And, maybe REALLY cold right now.  I realize that the temps are moderated by the ocean, but it still has to get cold.  Right?

Does the water get warm enough to truly enjoy in the summer?

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taker
It’s always windy, we get cold weather, but not that big of a winter. If we can get a month or more of snowmobiling we consider it good, the snow all blows away.

And in the summer it’s not that warm but we’re used to the cold so we enjoy the breeze. It’s warm enough for outdoors activities and swimming in the ocean. But it’s tolerable heat, unlike in the cities where it’s like 35 degrees Celsius. We can survive without air conditioning if that gives you an idea.

Sent: Friday, February 1, 2019 9:08 AM

That's cool.  And, maybe REALLY cold right now.  I realize that the temps are moderated by the ocean, but it still has to get cold.  Right?

Does the water get warm enough to truly enjoy in the summer?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-member-from-Eastern-Canada-tp21396p21575.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote

Sounds like a good prospect for the shake-down run of "overlanding" Big Blue!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yipes!  That sounds 'spensive.  If I'm lucky and the EFI + ZF5 get him to 14 MPG, which is a lofty goal for a 460, that'll still be a far cry from the 35 MPG Janey's car gets.  Then there's comfort, or the lack thereof.  Plus where to put the luggage.  Plus.....

But we could take Blue, which has the comfort and significantly better MPG than BB.  And we could take some parts to people or pick up parts to bring back.  Hmmmm!  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Now you're talking!