New Page: Electronic Engine Controls (EEC)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Page: Electronic Engine Controls (EEC)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gentlemen - I've started a new page: Electrical/Electronic Engine Control (EEC).  My intent is to use it to bring together several bits and pieces that we already have, and which are hither, thither, and yon.

Here are some of the things I plan to include there, but that doesn't mean these things can't be elsewhere or have links to the new page from "elsewhere":

Electrical/EEC-IV Diagnostics
Electrical/EEC Code Checking
EEC error codes
EEC Pinouts
Wiring diagrams from the EVTM

Does this seem reasonable?  What else can we put in there re EEC?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Page: Electronic Engine Controls (EEC)

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds good to me sir. At least maybe we can find it then.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
What else can we put in there re EEC?
There are at least 2 possible locations: above the gas pedal & under the driver's seat (which I've never found in the JYs).  So something about locations would probably be helpful.

I don't think "capacitor plague" affects bullnose EECs, but it should probably be mentioned somewhere:

Your codes page should have (or a link to) the instructions for pulling codes the right way (scanners are NOT reliable, and should be discouraged IMO):

I always recommend chopping out the pre-'92 Ford-style relays & replacing them with more-common more-reliable '92~04 Bosch/ISO/Tyco relays:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Yes, I was hoping we could then find things.  I keep looking knowing it is there someplace.

Steve:

Location: Good idea.  But, the under-the-seat location was probably EEC-III as it was for 82's.  Dad's new-to-him cab is from an '82 and I pulled the computer out from under the seat.

Anyway, I'm thinking location info will be on a system-by-system basis.  And that is going to take some sleuthing.  I think the EVTM's will be the things to use.

Not sure where to put capacitor plague.  But that pic looks like an EEC-IV - right?  IIRC, there's a TSB on that.  Hmmm....

We do have, as of tonight, info on pulling EEC-IV codes.  We already had that on another page and I copied it over to this page.  See what you think on the EEC-IV tab and then the Code Checking tab.

On the relays, we should have room to add a tab for that in the EEC-IV section.

I'll get back to this in a day or two, but there's still a lot to do on this page, so it will be some time before it approaches "done".  Still need EEC-III and V info, location info, etc.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
...capacitor plague. ... IIRC, there's a TSB on that.
I've never seen one.
Gary Lewis wrote
But that pic looks like an EEC-IV - right?
Yes, I've only seen it affect '87-93s; all of which are EEC-IV.
Gary Lewis wrote
Still need EEC-III and V info...
I've never seen "EEC-III" in any Ford documentation, but I haven't seen much Ford documentation that old.  Haynes calls the previous system "MCU" (Motronic Control Unit) or "MCU-III".  EEC-V is '96-up OBD-II, and the EECs are labelled that way:

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
What else can we put in there re EEC?
A section on how to remove all of it and install a carburetor and DSII ignition.

Just kidding....kind of...

It's too bad that nobody makes a replacement wire harness for the EFI trucks (yet). You just know that this is often the cause of problems with these trucks.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Cory - It is reasonable to expect that the old harnesses can easily cause problems with the EEC's.  But so many people quickly pull the EFI system off and go back to a carb that there may not be much market for a new harness.

Steve - I perused the TSB's for what I was remembering, but didn't find it.  However, I did quickly find these two that apply and we should provide links to:

87-21-10 EEC-IV DIAGNOSTICS

87-03-07 EEC-IV DRIVEABILITY TSB SUMMARY

And, there were other TSB's which we don't have in yet which may apply.  So this area will take time.

As for "EEC-III", I've read so much in various places that I may be remembering this Wikipedia article rather than something written by Ford.  But my remembrance is that everything was classified as Electronic Engine Control at the top level, and then there were systems under that heading.

But the 1981 EVTM does call one system EEC, and I think that's EEC-III but it may be EEC-II.  But, in the same EVTM there's Feedback Carburetor Control (MCU), and the MCU is Microprocessor Control Unit, with no mention of EEC.  So some research is needed to understand whether MCU is a subset of EEC-II or EEC-III, or just what.

But, this area has confused me for quite some time, and since it does apply to the Bullnose trucks it is something that deserves to be researched and documented.  Over time.