New PMGR Just bumping against flywheel

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New PMGR Just bumping against flywheel

Bootybandit
Installed the New PMGR starter today and its doing the same thing the old starter was doing with the exception I can barely hear it touching the flywheel and then spins freely.  It looks long enough to hit the flywheel, Battery has 12.2v does that have anything to do with it?  Is it possible the flywheel teeth are so worn it wont engage?  Throw me some ideas thanx!
LOUISIANA 1985 Bronco 351W 5.8L XLT With C6 Trans.

Swap= Softopper, Holley Model 4160, Edelbrock Intake, Summit HEI Dizzy, Perf Wires, Hooker Long collectors, 134a conversion.  
Replaced= Water pump, Heads, Vacuum lines, Ignition solenoid.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New PMGR Just bumping against flywheel

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
(A) there are differences between automatic and manual transmission applications - do you have the correct starter.

(B) If a manual transmission application there are cases of the ring gear coming loose and even splitting.

(C) Automatic transmission, loose or cracked flex plate will give you all kind of strange results.

(D) There are different tooth counts available on some of the PMGR starters, I believe it is 9 or 10 teeth, or possibly 10 or 11. A higher tooth count equals a larger diameter on the gear.

(E) since you do not say what engine/transmission you have I for one am flying blind as to what could be the issue

(F) where did you get the starter?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Bootybandit
Never mind... I'm a dummy sometimes.  I have a manual starter. Thanks for the input its never wasted.

Swap= Softopper, Holley Model 4160, Edelbrock Intake, Summit HEI Dizzy, Perf Wires, Hooker Long collectors, 134a conversion.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Bootybandit
Do you think this will fit?  https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/new-ford-bronco-4-9l-5-0l-5-8l-starter-92-93-94-95-96.html

I read that ford went to AOD transmissions after 88

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It is an 3205 starter, use a 1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0L V8 (they had AODs) don't pay for someone's overpriced gimmick. Most parts stores should be able to get one.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Bootybandit
I'd avoid DB... the one I bought for my 300/AOD combo didn't fit. With a parts store remanufactured unit, you often get a good warranty (lifetime?) where if it fails you can exchange it without messing with shipping. Not to mention if it's remanufactured, it fit something in the past. Which is what I did... pretty sure I got an AZ Duralast (remanufactured) which has been running well for over 2 years so far.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Bootybandit
yes, this should fit.
generally speaking, it matters more that it is manual or automatic. also, what engine series. like 4.9,302,351w next would be 460 and the others in that series as they mount differently.
other than that, it is important that the 86 Windsor used a starter motor without solenoid, and this is the best time to upgrade to the pmgr which has the starter mounted solenoid. there is the need for rewiring the starter to accommodate but it's simple. there is an instruction here in documents. many here could talk you through it also.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by ratdude747
very good point. I have seen more than a few times where new starters did NOT fit in the mid plate and the installer just assumed it was just snug and tightened the bolts to the point of cracking an ear off the starter. this has not happened with remanned starters. they are used bases and have already fit before. proven!
Reply | Threaded
|

Bootybandit
I followed the instructions posted here on the PMGR I just installed and it was very easy.  I just bought the manual version like a dumb dumb.  I'm gonna reorder today.  Thanx again to you guys.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Wow!
I don't see nearly as many trucks as you have, but I've never seen or even heard of this!

Thank you for the data point!
(another one to file away )
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
The perils and pros of reman!

Last week I was complaining about reman PS pumps not fitting the pulley I had.

Speaking of.. I saw a guy on YouTube that broke off a starter ear last week... sounds similar to what Matt was talking about

https://youtu.be/QNCMeOU6PBM?si=PyubMXcWaE-_MaHt
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with a 460 from an 86 Bullnose/C6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can do the same thing if your automatic starter hits the manual flywheel and doesn't engage.

Granted, it is now permanently engaged and will destroy itself in short order when the engine starts, but if it doesn't fit into place on the flywheel you will never get the starter ears tight.

I don't see any tolerance issues with JN or DB Electric starters, and I've installed a bunch of them.
They've sold tens if not hundreds of thousands.
You'd think their QC is up to par by now????
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
It's the same starter as any Windsor.
The only real difference on install is that the ground cable goes to one side.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bootybandit
Got it installed runs great except the fuel now pumping out of the fuel pump weep hole.  I posted a question about it in another thread.  Thanks for your help.  Oh and bye the way that new starter is very quiet.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got the starter problem sorted.  Bummer about the fuel pump.  But these trucks are link onions - plenty of layers/problems to peel, but when you get done you can have a Bloomin' Onion.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Mat, probably made of the best Chinesium.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile