classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Member - Gday from down under

Prendo85
G’day!

My name is Ryan and I’m from Ballarat, Victoria a regional town in Australia.

My dad and I have just purchased a project truck, our first entry into older vehicles and something we’ve wanted to do for a long time!

We have managed to get our hands on an 85 F250, 4x4, 460, 3 speed. These are pretty hard to come by in Aus as they were never sold here and as of July 2021, can no longer be imported. So if they aren’t already here, you can’t buy one!

I’m a panelbeater by trade and keen to use my skillset to bring the ol girl back to life. We are hoping to respray it in something period correct but away from the current cream and brown.

Hope to gather some good info from you gents and post some stuff along the way!

Cheers,
Ryan
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member - Gday from down under

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Ryan!  

We have a few members from Auz and a couple from NZ as well!

Gary will ask if you'd like to be on our member map. (You can always check in the drop-down menu to see if there's any of us close by.

You and Dave Grant are to only two bodymen in our little club (I think) and he by osmosis only...  

Truck looks straighter than mine, already.
Not saying much....  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Prendo85
Welcome, Ryan!  Glad you joined.  

Nice truck!  I have its brother, an 85 F250 4x4 with a 460.  It was originally a 4-speed but I swapped to a 5-speed w/OD.

Speaking of which, I wasn't aware that there was a 3-speed manual offered behind the 460.  So you must have the C6 automatic - right?

By the way, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you if we had a city or postal code.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Prendo85
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I should add that I’m a former teacher panelbeater! I did my 4 year apprenticeship and changed careers shortly after, I now work in civil construction.

It’s in great shape overall and certainly a good place to start! Lots of work ahead but will be a cool Sunday driver when we’re done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Prendo85
Not teacher** dunno how I put that in!
Reply | Threaded
|

Prendo85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hey Gary, thanks for having me!

Awesome, sounds like a nice rig!

Yeah sure is the C6, sorry I’m not familiar with all the right terminology. I really am an amateur when it comes to these trucks but keen to learn. I’m a ford man at heart and know my fair share of knowledge on old Aussie falcons and lots on late model having owned a few but these old girls are new to me other than admiring for years!

Yeah for sure mate go ahead and put me on there! Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. Post code is 3350
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map, Ryan.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Welcome Ryan!

So, this left side driver truck will force you to have eyes all around the head while driving.
Hopefully, “Sunday” is a quieter day to hit the road?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member - Gday from down under!

Bullwinkle
Gday, Ryan’s old man Julian here. We’re both looking forward to collecting the truck on Friday this week. We’re flying up to collect it, then have a 1,100 km (700 mile) drive to get it home. Not looking forward to the fuel bill for that trip! The guy we’re buying it from has imported roughly 40 vehicle from the States into Australia and has been very helpful, including recommending this forum. The 460s are quite rare here, with most trucks being 302 or 351 powered. Thanks for having us, and looking forward to learning a lot from you fellas.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Julian!  

Glad to have you aboard.
I've spent 37 years with my 460, so maybe know a thing or two.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bullwinkle
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

I'm pleased that someone is recommending this forum.  If you don't mind I'd like his/her email address to thank them.

As for the 460, there are several of us on here that have one of them.  Vivek has recently gotten his going.  Jim has driven the wheels, or at least the rear axle, off of his over the years and has swapped carbs a few times.  And Bill and I've gone EFI with ours.  Not sure how many miles Bill has put on Darth, but Big Blue has gotten several.

But the one thing all of us have in common is frequent visits to the gas pump.  The adage of "A 460 will pass anything but a gas pump" isn't exactly true as there are faster trucks and dual tanks will usually let you get to every other gas pumps.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Bullwinkle
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
Welcome and beautiful truck!
Will
--
1982 F-250 HD 4x4 400/C6 4.10 Dana61 (Borgeson/Bluetop/Lee, 3G)