Need some opinions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need some opinions

Danny G
Going to repost this out here in its own thread to see if I can generate some traffic because I'm getting ready to strip that e150 I have out and I'm having a hard time deciding what direction I want to go.

Looking for some opinions. I have that 1995 E-150 300 efi with e4OD 3.73 8.8 rear. Still on the fence on what to do with it. The vehicle has 300-400k miles on it.

My truck is an 86 carbed 300 with c6.

Direction 1: keep the carved engine do a core exchange and swap in the e4OD and trans controller.

If I went this direction what else should I strip from the E-150 for use in the truck.

Direction 2: use the e-150 engine for a core charge on a new block and retro fit it into the F-150. It currently has a random misfire and is very high mileage so a swap makes it easy.

Has anyone done a carb to efi swap with the 300. What considerations do I need to take into account.

Warrantied rebuilt blocks are not expensive and then come with the heads and oil pump etc. This is the route I am wanted to go with either engine as it's the best opportunity cost for me.

I was also thinking about taking the gearing out of the limited slip 3.73 if possible and swapping it with my open  3.08 rear for better towing/hauling but again that set has a lot of miles on it.
1986 F-150|Standard
1986 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need some opinions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd vote for EFI & E4OD.  You have everything you need save for maybe needing to lengthen some wires, and possibly needing different fresh air ducting as that can vary from a van to a truck.

And I agree that you should get an engine with a warranty.

As for the 3.73, I'd pull it and see what the gears look like.  If they are good that's what I'd go with.  The 3.08's and the OD will make for rather tall gearing.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
If you have the donor and want the no hassle reliability I'd agree with Gary.
I would do something about relocating the TFI module for reliability though.

Thinking about it - I'd mentioned swapping the diff because the van rear won't swap straight into the truck- you might be better off just rewelding the spring perches in the correct place.
I'm pretty sure the axle splines are the same, but it would save you having to setup the R&P in the trucks case.
I don't know that the track width is that different.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Thanks for the opinions, I will go ahead and head in that direction then. Ill make some visits to the junk yard. While we do not have any bullnoses here we do have 90's model F series and E series in there.
1986 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow