Need replacement wiring harness

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need replacement wiring harness

dsstephens
I am confident I will not be explaining this correctly :)

86 Bronco, XLT, all power, A/C  302 with SD EFI <-orginally, AOD, manual shift transfer case
rebuilt to 347
used fiveology racing MAF conversion/EFI kit, which includes a wiring harness overlay
3 years ago...the engine bay wiring harness (this includes the bundle that goes to the 60 pin eec, which had been relocated to the bay in a questionable decision) was trashed.  
It has sat since at shop "until they got around to it", which was never.  

I am struggling to find what hiring harness I need. I can get a new overlay from fiveology...but its what it overlays on that is the problem.  I found an 87' NOS on Jeff's Graveyard...bought it just in case it might work.
I have a painless 5.0 harness NIB (shop bought it but never tried to install it)

Truck is in hartwell, ga - i'm just as happy at this point to take it to a shop (haven't tried to locate one), but I think my son (its his truck...) and  I can figure it out if we can first figure out what harness we need and locate one.  Hence this post. :)  
Hartwell, GA, 86 XLT, 347 (302 original), MAF converted using fiveology kit w/95 EEC-IV), 4.56 gears, 4" lift.  Wiring is a disaster.
Non-Ford -
1971 Land Rover Series IIa 88"
1986 Land Rover Defender 110
1988 BMW 535is
2004 Land Rover Discover II
2020 Land Rover Defender 110  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need replacement wiring harness

kramttocs
Administrator
So you just need the factory engine harness for the truck as it came off the line?
The overlay takes care of the changes from there?

Not knowing what the overlay does or doesn't, I think I'd start by calling them and seeing what starting point they are expecting.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
That's correct - I need a factory engine harness at it came off the line.  
Hartwell, GA, 86 XLT, 347 (302 original), MAF converted using fiveology kit w/95 EEC-IV), 4.56 gears, 4" lift.  Wiring is a disaster.
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To be specific, you need the factory engine harness for a late '85 or '86 302, which was EFI.

The changeover from carb to EFI was in late '85 but I think some of the late 85 302's were still carbed.  It wasn't until '86 that the carb was dropped on the 302.  And the 351W was still carbed.

I don't have one, but just wanted people to know exactly what you are looking for.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Thank you!  That one looks about as crusty as mine, but at least it looks like it is in 'one' piece.  I have tried to decode what an actual part number would be (eg FZ something something).  I've downloaded the master parts catalogs, but I have not finished learning ancient sumerian yet. :)
Update: I figured out the MPC (I think)

Part#'s listed below
E5TZ-14401-W - Underdash wiring harness <- don't really need, since I put in aftermarket gauges and everything else works
E5TZ-12A581-BH - Underhood wiring harness <- NEED
E6TZ-9D930-C - Fuel Injection wiring harness <- NEED
E1TZ-14A318-A - Door window wiring harness <- don't need
E1TZ-14A318-B - Door lock wiring harness <- don't need

I have found things that look "close" on ronfrancis like this...https://www.ronfrancis.com/product/496
and painless (the 65011 that i have), but am so confused, that I think an original+the overlay is only what makes sense to me.  

We appreciate the wisdom and links!
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hmmm?

This is a direct-fit replacement for the injection harness found on 1985 Ford F-150. The harness has the correct dimensions and is finished with correct coverings and harness wrap tape. Includes connections for injectors and oxygen sensor. Fits 302 (5.0) and 351 (5.8) engines.

This section of harness connects the injectors and sensors on top of the engine to the main vehicle harness at the back of the engine. Manufactured with factory correct connectors and terminals, quality crosslink automotive grade wire and high temp covering. This matches factory dimensions for easy, trouble-free installation.

Note this is not an entire engine harness, it's just the injector portion.

https://www.stinger-performance.com/store/injector-harness-5.0-5.8-ford-truck-86

Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
Thanks.  I had not seen this one despite an inordinate amount of time on the ronfrancis site.  This looks like one of the missing pieces for sure!
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
dsstephens wrote
Thanks.  I had not seen this one despite an inordinate amount of time on the ronfrancis site.  This looks like one of the missing pieces for sure!
Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
just to close out this thread given all the great help I received, I ultimately gave up on the wiring.  I even sent the harness out to a restoration company (that has mixed reviews for sure) and the estimate to restore it was so much that I have chosen to completely eliminate it and go with the pro flo 4 system.  All of my problems are wrapped up in the EEC and fuel injection, so a complete replacement and getting that to work will be better than chasing rainbows with the old stuff.  

Thanks again!
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!  I think you have a good plan.  I know that when I was waist deep in wiring on the EFI project on Big Blue that I was wondering about my sanity.  Sometimes the best thing is to go with a proven solution instead of finding the problems in something someone else created.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Damon Hart
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have a used one.  The plugs are a bit beat up though as I dont have the patience to pry the damn things apart..
1986 F-250; 302 Boss, EFI.  Damon