Need advice from the Bullnose Braintrust.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Need advice from the Bullnose Braintrust.

Littlebeefy
Save the money on the radiator. That massive gap is the problem. Your fan isn't pulling air over the radiator fins when you're stopped; it's just blowing hot air around the engine bay.

I have held up up a 460 fan next to a 351W fan and the shape, size and angle of the blades are very different between them, but the overall difference in diameter is hard to see because of the asymmetrical shape.

Wait to hear back from Gary then get all three of those parts out and check that they are correct. If you have to replace one of them, you will need them all out anyway. If you end of having to replace the radiator you will need them all out anyway. Basically, unless the problem is your thermostat or a hose (which you confirmed it's not), you will need to take all three of those parts out anyway.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree the main culprit is probably the fan.  BUT, I think the radiator may also be at fault.

A radiator is designed to shed X BTU's in a given period of time with a certain CFM air flow at a given temperature differential.  So if you reduce that air flow, like with the wrong fan, then it won't shed as many BTU's, all else being equal.

But if the radiator is partially plugged then it is running at reduced capacity already.  So if you then reduce the air flow you really have a problem.  IOW, it could work fine on the highway but not in traffic.

I would address the fan/clutch combo first.  If the fan isn't the right one I'd get the right one and see if that gets you enough cooling in traffic.  If not, then I'd think about a new radiator.

BUT, I'd check the temp with either a non-contact thermometer on the thermostat housing or an aftermarket gauge with numbers on it.  And to answer the question about where to put the probe for that gauge, I put mine in a fitting in the thermostat housing.  That way I can see the engine warming up on the factory gauge and then see the thermostat open and the aftermarket gauge starts climbing.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I took a picture of an 84 351W fan next to an 84 460 fan. The 460 fan is on the right. It has H-E4TA-MA printed on it. The diameter isn’t obviously different but the blades are significantly larger.

LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I wish I had the fan my 430 in a 1958 Country Squire had, 7 blades and it was pretty big also. That would move some air!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
OK men,

This is what I have today…. Shroud opening isn’t round… top to bottom 22”, side to side 23 1/2”

Part number on the shroud is…E3TA-8146-FA

Only number I can find on fan is…..3019D

Numbers on clutch are….2799, and 20L04

1984 F-250, XLT, SuperCab, 460, C-6, 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The shroud is the right one as E3TA-FA is E3TZ-F, as shown way below.  But your blades should have numbers on the backside on each blade, as shown here.  And as our page on cooling system fans shows, that cross-references to E4TZ 8600-Z, which is the right fan.

However, I cannot find those #'s you found on the clutch in the catalog.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
You’re right Gary,

I just didn’t look close enough.

And would this be reason enough to replace the fan clutch?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like you have the right fan as when I zoom in on the number it appears to be E4TA-MA.  Right?  (Your pictures sure are small.)

On the clutch, I'm not seeing much that would worry me, but again it might be the picture.  What are you seeing?

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
Yes sir E4TA-MA on the fan.  What I was referring to on the clutch was the seepage.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
That could be a Hayden 2799 clutch, which would be the right unit in your application. I don’t know what the seepage would signify. I have another brand new clutch (which may very well be a Hayden 2799) that I couldn’t use. I’m happy to send it to you if you get me a shipping label.

Did anyone confirm from his original pictures that the fan was installed facing the right direction? I know it’s kinda dumb, but…
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
It is mounted correctly Chad,  it is pulling air from the front of the grill, through the radiator.
I have cleaned the clutch up, and reinstalled it.  Will monitor the seepage to see if it gets worse.
Think I am going to order a new radiator from Radiator express. Shows to be in stock, and only $279.00
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a great offer, Chad.  

Now that we know the fan and shroud are correct, it is probably either the radiator or clutch.  The radiator is a good bet, and if that doesn't solve it you have a clutch available.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
Yes sir Chad, that is a great offer and Thank You!  I will let you know if I need to replace this one.  Thank you all for your wisdom and insight.  I will let you know how it goes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
Well,  I called Champion radiators today to ask about when the radiator for my truck might be in stock.  I was told that that part number was dead, and that there was nothing planned as far as making them in the foreseeable future.  So I ordered the radiator that was in stock at Radiator Express.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a bummer!  Were you looking for a 3 or 4-row?

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
I was wanting the Champion 3 row.  It said it would cool 700 HP.  I don’t see mine ever making that!!! LOL
The one I ordered from Radiator Express is a 3 row also.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Strange.  I got their last 4-row, and it didn't even show in inventory.  And now they don't have plans for the 3-row?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Carl - I know you are trying out a new radiator but something occurred to me today. Do you have a thermostat with a bypass valve? Those will restrict flow through your radiator and could be a source of the problem. Easy to check when you swap out the radiator. Just thought I'd throw that out.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
Thanks for the follow up Chad,  sorry for the late reply.  No by-pass.  Truck is doing great.  After installing the new radiator and gauge set been driving it and putting it through its paces.  Loaded a 50 horse tractor on the trailer and hauled it about 50 miles.  Temp stayed consistently at around 175.  Pull up to a stop sign and it climbed to 180 and then back down to 165.

Hooked up jumper cables to it the other day to while I bled air out of the system on my big tractor after changing the fuel filter.  It ran for over an hour at around 800 rpms and never got over 180 degrees.