classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NP208 Range Fork Replacement

barkeraj
Good evening,

I was driving to work the other day and my truck popped out of 4H and it felt like the truck was in neutral. I was unable to get the truck to engage 4H or 2H and was stuck with just 4L. I have taken the transfer case apart and I believe I found the issue. The range fork closest to the chain has been worn down and there is a plastic ring that was in pieces in the case. The fork has C-13735 stamped into it. I have been having a rough time finding the correct fork to order. It seems like all the ones I can find have the shift select "knob" cast into the fork and this one has a separate part with a spring on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a replacement?

Thanks!

1982 F150 XLT 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NP208 Range Fork Replacement

barkeraj
For a little more context, this is an NP208F and has an 82 stamped on it. It's out of my 1982 f150. Are any of the range selector forks interchangeable?
1982 F150 XLT 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by barkeraj
Welcome!  Glad you joined the forum.  However, you may have missed the email that Jim sent you asking you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then introduce yourself there before posting elsewhere.  Until you do that people are reluctant to reply.

Don't worry, this happens frequently and we get over it.  But it is an important step because we have our guidelines in the NMSH folder and we will hold you to them.  So it is important that you read them.

Now, towards your problem.  First, it sounds like you were driving in 4wd.  Did you have the hubs locked in?  Were you on dry pavement?  That is a no-no and will destroy something.  Hopefully you've not been doing that.

As for the shift fork, I can research that tomorrow.  But today is the last day my grandtwins will be with me for a few months so I'm otherwise occupied.  So I can check tomorrow but I really need the info of the tag that should be on your transfer case.  An aluminum tag that has the model and specific info that lets me look things up in the master parts catalog.

So please go to the NMSH folder, read the guidelines, and then introduce yourself there.  And then in this thread come back with a pic of the tag off your t-case.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

barkeraj
Sorry about that. I read the guidelines and made a post on the new members forum.

I was in 2H when the transfer case failed and I had just gotten to work. I had to drive it in 4L without the wheel locks on. I drove it home on the side of the road going around 20 mph. There was no grinding noise or anything during any of this. It just would not go into high gear and stay there. I could get it to stay for a few sex nds but it would slip out which makes sense after seeing the wear on the fork.

1982 F150 XLT 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, if you were in 2Hi then its alright.

And popping out of gear is what I've seen when the plastic on the forks goes bad.  But I can't read the #'s on that tag.  Can you read them for me?  I'll try to look up the parts list tomorrow.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

barkeraj
I'll try to clean it off better and get the info when I can later today
1982 F150 XLT 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

barkeraj
I cleaned it up and filled in the punch marks where I could. Here's what I got:

ASSY NO: E2TA

7A195HA

SERIAL 528

261 RATIO

Thanks again for your help
1982 F150 XLT 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I've determined that your transfer case takes parts list #5E, as show below, which you can find on the Applications tab on the page at Driveline/Transfer Cases.

So you should:

Go to the page at Driveline/Transfer Cases & click on the NP208 tab

Click on the Illustrations tab and see that the shift forks are base part number 7289

Click on the Parts Lists tab and note that the heading says Transmission Parts Lists 5A thru 5M

Scroll down the 5E column until you find the 7289 base part numbers

Note that in the E column you have two shift forks, and the correct one is determined by the manufacturing date on your tag - before or after 1/19/82.  I think yours was manufactured on 5/28/82, so yours should take E1TZ 7289-B.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by barkeraj
HA is the key

I don't have the MPC on my phone, so if I can't find it in the documentation it may be until tomorrow that Gary gets to it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Poof!
And just like that it's done!  👍

😂
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Everyone else went for a walk and left me alone for 15 minutes.  

Reply | Threaded
|

barkeraj
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Wow thanks for figuring that out for me! Now to find a good place to buy one
1982 F150 XLT 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like Midwest Transmission.  They've been good to me.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I offer up Rockland Standard Gear,.

They've always been really helpful on the phone and prompt with parts, like when I was stranded in Podunk, VT
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I think you want this page..
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

barkeraj
This post was updated on .
Thank you, i'll give them a call and see if they have it. I think what caused this transfer case to fail was it definitely did not have ATF in it. I think someone filled it with gear oil
1982 F150 XLT 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

barkeraj
I found these plastic pieces around the case when I disassembled the transfer case. I've tried to identify where they went but I can't find anything. They look like they form a ring.
1982 F150 XLT 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What's this spring looking thing between the forks?
I'll bet they are the seats for that.  💡

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

barkeraj
Yeah I bet you're right
1982 F150 XLT 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I wish I know more about NP transfer cases, but I've never owned or been inside one.  

The 'clip' looking part makes me think it has to attach to something.
 Jim,