My 81 F100 as of 2/2/2023

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My 81 F100 as of 2/2/2023

81f100custom
So this is now the condition of my 81 F100 as of Thursday evening 2/2/2023. Have not even gotten the police report as of yet so no one has been contacted as for as insurance goes yet. So me just thinking no doubt there going to total it most likely? So for some of you that have been in this situation would it be worth trying to fix or just forget it? I do not know all the extent of the damage as I just got it on my own property late yesterday evening. I have got a few pictures but most likely will not show all the hidden damage. Even if the frame is racked on the front would it be worth me doing the work to strip it down and just have it put back to spec and then me put it back together possibly if I could even get the needed parts together? Just not even sure what direction to look in at the moment. I do have more pictures that where taken when it was dropped at my property if I need to post more to maybe show some of the damage better.

Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My 81 F100 as of 2/2/2023

grumpin
That is a bummer!

Tough decision. I’m not sure what I’d do.

Actually, the fact that I don’t move to well right now would factor in to me not bringing it back.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  That is a LOT of damage.  Both fenders, the hood, the bed, the grille, the radiator support, and suspension.  And surely the frame is bent.  That can be straightened, as I found out on Big Blue, but it is a lot of work.  Then you still have all of the other parts to source.

How special is the truck to you?  If it isn't special I think I'd consider buying another one.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's a huge impact!
Was anyone badly hurt?

To me the deciding factor would be if the cab hinge area below the A-pillar is bent.
If you have to strip out the cab to straighten that, it's done.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm not sure how you have this insured and I'm not asking. but with labor and parts availability it looks totaled from these pics. whether the frame is true or not. whether it can be brought back or not is not really a question, yes. but this will need to be a labor of love. I would so hate to see one of my trucks this way.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Hope no one got hurt to bad.
I know a little late to the post any up date?
You did good to have it home on your land.
1 thing that pushes it to total is the towing & storage when not at home
If you have just normal insurance you will only get book value that is not much and yes that is totaled.

I have agreed price insurance on my truck, way over what book is.
Also if mine is ever totaled I get to keep it.
This way I can either rebuild it or use any good parts to build another or sale them, it is mine to do as I wish.

BTW if that happened to my truck and was not my fault I would be in jail for killing someone
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Man, I always liked this truck and it's sad to see it end up this way.

Definitely a tough call on rebuilding it because there's likely a ton of other damage to things like the radius arm mount and the steering box mounting area more than likely cracked.
Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
 Well Gary I hate to think I have lost my truck since this has been my work truck since about 1988. Jim I am sore and hurting some on my left shoulder, neck, elbow and such. I believe he went to the emergency room but don't know anything other than that. Yea I can't believe the bone headed decision he made that caused this.

Mat as for the insurance I had it was just the mandatory liability. I guess I will be able to buy it back from the insurance if I want. Dave yes I did have it towed to my property and that was still $295 and that was no storage fee at all.

I was finally able to get someone to get the police report for me last Friday. Got a call from his insurance today about 10:30 so I guess will see where it goes from here.

Here are the pictures from when it happened. This is 4 lane highway with a middle turning lane so 5 total. Where my truck came to rest is where he was headed into to. His vehicle is facing approximately 180 degrees from the direction he was heading which was into the parking lot seen behind my truck.

Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is a bummer!  Glad you are ok and hope he is, but your truck sure isn't.  Please let us know what you find out.  And good luck!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Eddie,
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
81f100custom wrote
Have thought about (but have not yet) posting is name and info and pic of his house out there just to see if anyone knows this idiot.
Nothing good can result from that. It is good enough you have a witness on your side, hopefully it doesn't escalate to requiring a lawyer. Maybe a nearby business has cameras that caught the collision? With newer systems the footage will automatically delete after a certain period of time if not saved, so if that is a possibility do act now.

Hopefully things work out in your favor. There are so many people on the road under the influence of something or distracted by their phone, I see them every day. It's a shame you can do everything right and one of these individuals will come out of nowhere. Laying blame on you is probably just part of their denial complex.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 81f100custom
Eddie - I'm sorry that things aren't going well.  But it my experience that insurance companies will try to lay the blame on the other person.  However with your witness you should eventually get that sorted.

And that is one of the reasons I like the dash cam system I have on Big Blue as it will capture images of any accident like that and lock the files so they aren't deleted.  So it would be easy to show right where your truck was when he ran into you, as well as speed, time, and heading.

Last, please remember that this is a family-oriented site.  So I'd appreciate it if you'd clean up your post a bit.  Thanks in advance.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
definitely a strong case for dashcams. especially in old vehicles that no one would suspect.