Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Last, who is going to write the how-to? I'd love to have an in-depth one, including an explanation of the acronyms. I learned a lot by reading along, but didn't follow it closely as I was playing with powder and parts, as well as TSB'ing. So I still have a lot to learn.

I agree! :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Ford calls cruise control "speed control", perhaps it is Speed Control C Disable Switch, with "C" TBD? :nabble_anim_confused:

I would have said "Clutch", but it is on the brake system. Perhaps "Cruise"? That makes sense!

I just went back and looked at the image Steve posted, and I'd say that SCCDS is Servo Cruise Control Disable Switch. We'll have to wait for Steve to confirm.

Since Ford calls cruise control "speed control", perhaps it is Speed Control C Disable Switch, with "C" TBD? :nabble_anim_confused:

Also...Just to clear something up, I think we may have gone off the rails a bit here talking about the SCCDS. The reason it came up was that earlier in this thread I asked about a device that was part of the rear braking system mounted on the frame of a 1992-1996 F150 at the Junkyard, and Steve said it was a frame mounted SCCDS (only on the 1993 model).

I think Steve and I were talking about two different things here, because after a little more digging around the junkyard, I found this same device on other year f150's. What I was looking at and asking about earlier appears to be what Ford called "Valve - Brake Skid Control", part numbers E7TZ-2B373-A, up to F5TZ-2B373-A.

Now, we'll have to wait for Steve to confirm, I'm guessing this is what is known as the RABS module? Rear Antilock Braking System? Steve?

It's mounted on the inside of the frame, almost directly below the master cylinder. Looking back at Steve's image posted earlier, it looks like the SCCDS was mounted in almost the same location, but on top of the frame rail.

From the little bit of reading I did, it seems this RABS module is a universally disliked device...lol, and it was common to bypass them when/if they failed.

what is an SCCDS?
You guys never look at the pics I post, do you? :nabble_smiley_uh: Turns I've been misspelling that abbreviation for years. :nabble_smiley_blush: I'm using it to mean "Secondary Cruise Control Deactivation Switch" (which I'd have sworn I got from Ford documentation). "Secondary" because the primary kill is the brake/clutch input; if those don't work and you get scared that your vehicle isn't slowing down & stomp the brake harder, that switch cuts power to the clutch inside the servo, disconnecting it mechanically from the throttle as a secondary failsafe kill. But after looking back at the FSA, it's supposed to be "Speed Control Deactivation Switch" (SCDS).

https://supermotors.net/getfile/505128/thumbnail/fsa05s28speedcontroldeacsw.jpg

You're killin' me here Steve.
Yeah, I know I can be confusing sometimes. :nabble_anim_crazy: I was only talking about the generally-high-quality Ford/MC parts vs. the unknown-quality of all other aftermarket replacements; when their price difference is relatively small.

But my first preference is always OE (assembly-line original equipment) parts, no matter how many miles they have (which, by itself, I don't view as a worthwhile gauge of a part's condition). And they're usually cheaper because almost everyone else considers high-mileage parts to be worth LESS than new imported junk (and I include Ford/MC imported parts in there).

I wasn't calling you cheap - I was commiserating because I've been unemployed for years, so I have to shop frugally for my hobby, too.

I think Steve and I were talking about two different things...
That's possible - I couldn't actually see ANYTHING in the shadows of your pic - I just assumed it was the SCDS based on location, and because you didn't correct me after I posted that diagram & pictures of it. But if this is what you saw:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/71711/thumbnail/rabs-valve.jpg

...then you're correct now :nabble_smiley_good:, and the SCDS discussion was irrelevant. :nabble_smiley_cry:

You guys never look at the pics I post, do you?

But after looking back at the FSA, it's supposed to be "Speed Control Deactivation Switch" (SCDS).

LOL...I admit, that I didn't look at all of them, and if I had, I wouldn't have been as confused as I was. I'll hang my head in shame for that. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

PS: I did see the term "SCCDS" in your attachments....maybe it was a typo from Ford?

sccds.jpg.ebf635aab02f3c642af33c49b4a64ded.jpg

All confusion aside Steve, you've been a great help.

You guys never look at the pics I post, do you?

But after looking back at the FSA, it's supposed to be "Speed Control Deactivation Switch" (SCDS).

LOL...I admit, that I didn't look at all of them, and if I had, I wouldn't have been as confused as I was. I'll hang my head in shame for that. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

PS: I did see the term "SCCDS" in your attachments....maybe it was a typo from Ford?

All confusion aside Steve, you've been a great help.

I actually thought I'd looked all of them as well. In fact, I got lost exploring. But, I missed that.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. (And here I was thinking one of the "S's" was for "Steve".)

maybe it was a typo from Ford?
Maybe - I still think I got it from a Ford document, but it's been too long ago for me to remember which one, where, or when.

But the one you spotted is something I put in that diagram (like the watermarks behind it). I recognize the font as Arial Bold, which I often use to overwrite blurry, missing, or incorrect text. I frequently start with several Ford diagrams, and combine/correct/customize them. When I do that, I usually put my watermark behind them; if it's a raw diagram I got from somewhere without changing it (much), I usually don't.

So back to the topic of the thread... :nabble_anim_drunk:

Which one did you NOT get a picture of? :nabble_smiley_happy: Was it the little red 2-wire SCDS, or the big cast 4-wire RABS valve?