(Normal)
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Motor Mount Perches - 4.9/300 I6 for Early Bullnose

Bronco638
I started another thread concerning towers/perches HERE

I have a 1980 F-150 Flare Side that had a 351M originally. I had planned to go with a 302 but had a 300 fall into my lap (which is what I wanted before I even found this Flare Side).

Anyways, according to This Page, there's a running change to the driver's side 4.9L motor mount tower/perch in early May of 1982.

It seems as if the passenger side tower was the same from 1980 thru 1988 (E2TZ 6028-B). For 1980 until May 3, 1982, the driver's side tower was E2TZ 6029-B. After that date it changed to E2TZ 6029-C.

I found two pairs of towers/perches on FB Marketplace. The driver's side tower, on one pair, seems to have a part number stamped into it: E2TA 6061-FB. Based on images (elsewhere on this site) provided by FuzzFace2 (Dave), these towers look very similar to his:

Can anyone tell me what Ford vehicle these might be for?

Does anyone have any idea what the change was in May of '82? Are there any images of the two (6029-B & 6029-C) side by side?

TIA
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Motor Mount Perches - 4.9/300 I6 for Early Bullnose

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Counterintuitively, the number ON a part is not the part number...

We need to cross reference the engineering number to an actual part number.

This is a bit of a challenge on my phone and I'm stepping into the dentist right now!
I may not be in the mood to plug away in an hour, but perhaps Gary can look?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bronco638
Bronco638 wrote
It seems as if the passenger side tower was the same from 1980 thru 1988 (E2TZ 6028-B). For 1980 until May 3, 1982, the driver's side tower was E2TZ 6029-B. After that date it changed to E2TZ 6029-C.

I found two pairs of towers/perches on FB Marketplace. The driver's side tower, on one pair, seems to have a part number stamped into it: E2TA 6061-FB. Based on images (elsewhere on this site) provided by FuzzFace2 (Dave), these towers look very similar to his:

Does anyone have any idea what the change was in May of '82? Are there any images of the two (6029-B & 6029-C) side by side?
     ID#                  PN                             Notes
----------------   ---------------         ---------------------
                        E2TZ 6029-B         Not in the cross-ref
E2TA 6061-FB    E2TZ 6029-C
                        E2TZ 6028-B        Not in the cross-ref

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And in case I've missed something, here's the relevant page in the cross-ref. You look up the number you have, either PN or ID #, in the Known Part Number column and the cross-ref will be to the right in the Service Or Engineering Part Number column. I can't find the two listed above on the page, and I've had the computer search for them.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
Sorry guys, I keep forgetting about the cross-reference chart that's also part of this site.

So Gary, given that the two 'correct' part numbers are not in the cross-reference list, would you say these might be the correct towers/perches for my truck?

The seller is asking $155 for the pair  so I don't want to buy these and have them be wrong. I wish I could find a Bullnose in a junkyard in my area. I'd go get them myself. But, they seem to be few & far between here in northern Illinois.

Additionally, I guess you can swap a Cummins 4bt into the F-Series and these are the towers that the 4bt takes. Maybe that's why he thinks they're worth $155...
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The catalog has mistakes and omissions, we all know that.
It's something we've come to accept
I'm sure Mryl had all kinds of annotations and crib notes during his 30 plus years behind the Ford parts counter
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bronco638
I really can't say.  I have not had any experience with those perches.  None at all.

As around here on the forum more.  Perhaps Dave knows of some?

Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
Thanks guys, I'll check in with Dave (FuzzFace2).
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Dave is in the house ............ but I dont know what help I can be

I did not know there was a running change on the mounts so I dont know what the change might be?
Could it be where the rubber mount stud goes into that part is now a tear drop and not a round hole?
Cant say

I think I saved the set off my parts truck frame before I gave it away just so I would have them for another project.
The truck was 02/81 so before the 1982 change date.
If you can wait till the week end I should have time to dig thru my bins and maybe get to the car that is a shelf as they may be on or by it. If I can find them I can take pictures and maybe we can see what is different?

Also if it may help my truck is 11/80 making it a 81 truck.
The motor is newer and think from a van from what I have come across in the rebuild.
I dont know what rubber mounts they used, the 80 / 81 from the truck and bolted to the motor or the van mounts or even something say from 85>?

This gets me thinking, look up the rubber mounts for our trucks and see if there is a early / late 82 split and if van mounts are different than ours?
If there is no split then maybe the change is on the frame side of the mount and if I can find mine we can see if the ones you posted a picture of are different.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I found a picture of my parts truck with the towers bolted to the frame.

The picture of the ones for sale.

Dont know if this will help?
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
This post was updated on .
Hey Dave!

I sent you a PM @ FTE, too. FYI.

You bring up a good point to check on the motor mounts themselves, to see if there's a running change in/around early May of 1982.

** I checked Anchor Industries website. They show "early" and "late" designs for the 1973-83 F-100 and 1975-84 F-150. However, they do not make a distinction as to when the split is between "early" and "late". I'm guessing it's 1979/1980 when the Bullnose replaced the Dent Side (the oil pan changed at this time, too). They also do not seem to acknowledge the tower/perch change in May of '82. I left a message with them. I've spoken to their tech team before (regarding my old '85 Ranger) and they seem to be knowledgeable and have access to Ford tech. data. Interestingly, Summit lists only the "late" motor mounts and do not list the "early" ones. My '79 300 engine still has the motor mounts on it. So, I could compare/contrast to what's bolted to the block with what Anchor offers. **

UPDATE: Anchor called me back and let me know that the early/late designation was because Ford did some odd things in the late 70's with their motor mounts. This was based on internal Anchor notes, they had no Ford data. So, the early/late has no correlation to the tower/perch running change in mid-'82. Additionally, the "early" designs have been discontinued. Anchor no longer has any (if there is any stock left, it would be in parts store's warehouses).

And, the pic you posted (above) is the one I was referring to in an earlier post. Those towers/perches on your truck's frame look to be the same as the ones I found on FB Marketplace. That said, it's hard to compare contrast the two sets with the images that we're working with.

Like you, I'd REALLY like to know what the running change was (-B to -C in early May of '82). But, it could be something simple, like what you mentioned; round hole to oval hole.

I am in no rush as the truck is still in storage for another two months (although, given the winter we've been having, I may bring it home sooner) and I need to clean-up and address some minor issues with the engine. So, if you can get to that parts shelf this weekend and get some pics, that would be great.

UPDATE 2: on a rare Saturday with absolutely nothing to do, I opted to run over to the storage unit where my 4.9 engine sits. I needed to support the engine better on the stand as I noticed a distinct 'nose down' attitude, as observed from the side. I also wanted to see which motor mounts were on it. They are definitely the "late" design (my engine is out of a '79 Dent Side) which is Anchor part numbers 2441 and 2442. Summit has them for ~$33 for the pair (at the time of this posting). Oddly, the mounting bolts, to the engine block, weren't very tight. Maybe something for the rest of you to check?
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
Dave G let me know that the towers/perches he thought he had (on a shelf in his garage) are no longer there. He has no idea what may have happened to them. So, until I (or someone) find a set off of an '80, '81 or early '82, it will remain a mystery.
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
I wanted to follow up on this but I'm not sure if I've actually resolved anything.

I was able to procure a set of brackets off of a 1980 F-150. I am unable to actually compare/contrast the driver's side brackets that were made before May of 1982 and after May 5, 1982 because I do not have an "after" backet in my possession.

Here's mine:

Here's the bracket with the engineering number that equates to being made after May 5, 1982:

I'll be darned if I can tell the difference between the two.

I do recall that the seller on FB Marketplace said he had two sets of brackets (you can just see the second set at the very bottom of the image directly above). One set had the engineering # stamped into the driver's side bracket (as shown) and the other did not (like mine, in the top image). I wonder if that's how you tell them apart(?). The seller also told me that he tried to match up the two driver's side brackets and could not make a distinction between the two. Unfortunately, he did not remember the model years of the two trucks that were the source of the brackets. Like the rest of us, I'm sure he assumed that they were the same regardless of model year.

So, I'm guessing this will remain a mystery and it appears as if any of the driver's side brackets, made between 1980 and 1986, should work regardless of model year.
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I dont know if the member has posted this yet or not but figured I would throw it in here with the brackets.

The member has a 85 F150 with a 300  and think granny 4sp, he is the 2nd owner and nothing has been messed with before he bought it.

When the motor was pulled he found the right side motor mount was in bad shape.
Mote this for later.

He rebuilt a 95 300 to drop in the truck and ran into a little problem.
He bought 2 new rubber motor mounts.

When he went to drop it in the left side mount fit the frame bracket like it was made for it as it was and the motor / valve cover is level.

The issue is the right side. He side the angle between the motor / rubber mount and the frame bracket .
I for get what the angles where but it was not even close.

He was wondering if that is why the motor / rubber mount went bad on the factory motor?

He did some checking the motor / rubber mounts fit a bunch of different years and models, I forget them ATM. This mount is what bolts to the motor, no brackets on motor and frame and a rubber part fits between them.

The only thing I ask him to try was to bolt the old mounts from the 85 motor onto the 95 motor and see if the angle is fixed.
I also said maybe pick out a different brand of mount and see if that changes anything.
Thinking the mounts are for a Ford six as they bolted to the motor but maybe a car making the angle different and was boxed wrong?
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/300-motor-mount-td151182.html
It is always something.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
Hey Dave,

I took a look at the thread and I think that member got a mis-boxed motor mount. Based on the motor mount I removed from my engine, it wasn't the same. So, yeah, things happen and I'm glad it was an easy fix.
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition