More fuel problems

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

More fuel problems

Turnburn720
I'm still not getting fuel. So far: new fuel pump, new filter, new fuel lines from carb all the way back to the tank. Truck runs for a minute if I pour gas directly into the carb.

Today I rigged up a piece of rubber fuel line, to a barbed hose adaptor, to a 1/4" air line out from under the truck, to a brass valve I had in my garage, back to my compressor, which I set at 15 psi. I hose clamped the fuel line to the gas tank pickup, opened the gas cap and charged the air line up to the gate valve. Then I sat next to the gas fill so I could hear if it bubbled when I put the air to it. When I opened the valve and listened to the tank, I expected either bubbling or to hear the sock get blown off. Instead, I heard air blowing straight into the tank and got some fumes in the face. I thought maybe that I had goofed and just had an empty tank, so I added a couple gallons of gas to it. I put some more air into it, and still got a blast of air, no bubbling.

I'm concerned that this means that the pickup tube has rusted off and fallen inside the tank, thus no longer submerged in gas. Has this happened to anyone? Is there a remedy besides replacing the tank?
1983 f150 RCLB, carb 4.9, np435 4 speed, 4x4

Connecticut native, bullnose novice
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: More fuel problems

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you've figured it out - the pickup isn't going down into the gas.  And that was good detective work.

But you don't have to change the tank.  The sending unit isn't that hard to replace.  You can usually lower the tank enough with the all-thread they hang from to get to the retainer, which you have to turn with a brass drift and a hammer.  Then you can pull the sender out.

And you can get the right part number on the page at Documentation/Fuel Systems/Fuel System Part #'s/Fuel Senders and Pumps.

Personally, I'd leave the piece that apparently fell off in the bottom of the tank.  I don't think it is going to hurt anything.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Turnburn720
Honestly I think I might replace the tank anyways, it's got a hole near the top somewhere. From what I can see, it wouldn't be too difficult to drop it, correct? The two pieces of allthread, disconnect the sending unit and filler neck, and just lower it down yeah?
1983 f150 RCLB, carb 4.9, np435 4 speed, 4x4

Connecticut native, bullnose novice
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
That's pretty much all there is to it, although the devil is in the details.

It's been about a year and a half since I last dropped my tank, I described the process I went through here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/How-do-I-empty-my-fuel-tank-td19972.html
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Turnburn720
Yes, read Matthew's account.  And be aware that a little bit of gas in a tank makes it very unwieldy.  VERY.

But a new tank and sending unit is good insurance against having rust in the carb.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI