classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
67 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miss fire help

Gary Lewis
Administrator
But the 1986 300 six still had a carburetor, not EFI.  So while it was EEC-IV surely the wiring is quite different between the carb'd engine and the EFI'd one?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Very true. Gary, the best indicator I can give you is the ignition system, if it is a Duraspark, it would need to be a DS-III for computer advance control. TFI was introduced for (a) hotter spark (b) more compact and (c) compatibility with computer control. If a 300 6 has a TFI distributor and a carburetor it will be an EEC-IV control system. The MCU (Mixture Control Unit) only had 24 pins, was a potted assembly and mounted underhood. Those systems had a regular DS-II distributor with only the vacuum advance being computer controlled.

1985 and 1986 LD 300s used an EEC-IV for spark and mixture control.

As for wiring, that's what the pinouts were for, to show where the differences and changes were in the wiring.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
This should lead to an easier swap over I would think. I know i have the EEC-IV diagnostics port next to the battery and TFI.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Danny G
So got my sister in laws misfire sorted out...
Told her I would pay for all the parts and get it straightened out. A wise man once said never assume it is one thing that is causing the problem. And this sure was the case here.

Of the 16 valves all but 2 were significantly out of tolerance. The exhaust valves were very tight across the board. Spec was 0.16-0.20mm I couldn't even get a 0.153mm feeler gauge to think about sliding in there. The valve cover was leaking a bit too so killed two birds with one stone here. Whoever had the cover off last used rtv in conjunction with the felpro blue gasket in spots around the cams. I found the leak here, as well as some RTV making its way into the head, pulled some of it out that broken loose

She had a friend replace the plugs after being told by a guy at AutoZone she needed new ones to fix the random misfire.

She didn't keep them so I didn't get to see what they looked like. But I took the new ones to check gap. Should be 0.044 " she had anywhere between 0.030" and 0.040". Regapped and reinstalled.

They never recommended wires... Seems silly, especially when you look at this obvious spark leak from the boot over Cyl 4's plug:

Got into the distributer. Found the cap to be a cheap replacement (probably car-quest like the wires). The pick ups were undersized compared to the OEM grade cap I replaced it with, a couple were even melted (not shown). The rotor contact was significantly worn and the coil was a bit corroded. Got those cleaned up and replaced.

Got that all replaced and cleaned up. Boy does it run smoothly. It definitely gave me some good practice for trouble shooting the 300Six on the van. Hopefully I can get into that this next week. Have a paper due this weekend, and a research paper the following weekend, Cal test Thursday (yay for anti derivatives) and a final next Tuesday. I'm ready for a break and to just get under the hood of something for some therapy time lol.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You sure found a bunch of problems!  But they were all either causing issues now or soon would be.  Well done!

Now, on to the van?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Gary Lewis wrote
You sure found a bunch of problems!  But they were all either causing issues now or soon would be.  Well done!

Now, on to the van?
yes, finals time so probably get to it just before Christmas. Just had my last unit test in derivative calculus yesterday. Have a paper due this weekend,  calc final next Thursday, and a research paper due the following weekend. Then freedom (less work and kids).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That gives me nightmares!  My degrees are in Math and Physics.  But I hated Calc and Diff E.  Good luck!