Looking for a special timing cover

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for a special timing cover

Rodeoclown
I am looking for a special timing cover. SBF-351, nothing special yet, CCW rotation water pump, again nothing special, mechanical fuel pump, problem. Apparently the idea of using a CCW (serpentine belt system) and a mechanical fuel pump is not to be done. I am putting a 96 roller 351 with it's serpentine system in to an 86 F350 with a tired 351. I have the new CCW W/P and want to continue to use the carb with mechanical F/P. The timing cover doesn't need a dip stick hole or sensor boss. At this point the only option I see is to make a special cover by cutting two covers and welding the two desired halves back together. I'd thought the Speedmaster PCE 265-1045 would handle either direction of W/P spin. The coolant holes don't line up enough, either one. Bolt holes are fine. Major leaks will happen. I have the smog pump delete bracket and the correct diameter pulley to continue to use factory spec. belt. I think for the immediate time being I'll be installing the A/C delete bracket and pulley just to get the truck running. By default will need to upgrade to 3G alternator, P/S is no problem as it is the same unit, CII. Waiting for the iron GT40 heads to come back from the shop. Does anyone have any ideas?
'86 F-350 4WD 5.8 C6 R/C SRW A/C XLT-under construction.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for a special timing cover

Rembrant
What did you end up doing with this? I thought there was a different thread, but I can't find it atm.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
I put my roller 302 together with the truck's 1981 timing cover and a CCW pump - works just fine.

PS - Tell yer parts man that you need a water pump for a Mustang...
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Rodeoclown
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Well, I looked and looked and then I looked some more. I could not find a CCW cover with a mechanical fuel pump boss. So I had to fall back and punt. I am fortunate enough to have a local blacksmith that truly is an artist of metal. I showed him two covers and explained exactly what I was looking for what was critical. A couple of weeks later I have a CCW timing cover with the f/p boss. He made a jig to ensure acceptable location. The cover looks great and I am sure it will work fine. I have started to assemble the engine and am now having replacement bolt issues. I think I will go up to the fall Carlisle and just look around. Maybe I'll find a pair of Victoria doors cheap. Not holding my breath.
'86 F-350 4WD 5.8 C6 R/C SRW A/C XLT-under construction.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd like to see some pics of that cover.  Curious what a real craftsman can do.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI