35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Let's Discuss The 2023 Show - In Detail

FuzzFace2
Judging_Sheets_(1).pdf

Judging_Sheets.pdf

See if you can see this judging sheet from our club.
The show this weekend has been canceled because of bad weather.
Dave  ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I can. Thanks, Dave! But is there any difference in them? They look the same, but maybe I missed something?

And for everyone else, here 'tis:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
They are both the same.
I was having issues saving it on my end on my phone where I could get to it to post.
Then I was trying to post it when the site was having issues.

When I get to a show I will ask for their sheet and post it so you can see how others do it.
Then you can pick what works for your show.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  I'm going to contact the guy from the show John/Machspeed and I went to last week and see if we can get the judging sheet from them.  Can't hurt.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
My dad is retired, and is a Ford guy. I can see about roping him into judging if you go that direction.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Steve.  Not sure where we'll go with this, but will remember the offer should we go that way.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary
I have not forgotten about judging sheets for you to look over.

I have only been to 1 judged show and it was a vary large one so was hard to ask for a sheet.
They had close to 100 cars and think at least 50 big rigs as it was held at the largest truck stop in the east.
If you know I80 truck stop out west this is the sister, I95 truck stop.
Any of the other outings have been cruise in's or cars & coffee.

I have 2 shows this coming weekend, Saturday & Sunday.
Think Saturday is peoples choice a large show and only 3 awards handed out.
Cant remember if it was free or not last year?

Dont know of Sunday's as it is put on by a Boy Scout Troop and we have not gone to this one before that I know of.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No prob, Dave.  Hope the two shows go well this weekend.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ok folks, it is getting real - real close.  And I have to nail the categories down very quickly as I need to order the trophies.  So I've read and re-read all of the comments and then talked to David about this today.  And I think that things are starting to emerge from the fog.

The screenshot below is an analysis of the 2022 entrants, and I've sorted them by year, applied the F-Series generation # to them, and then looked at three ways of organizing them - assuming 2023 will have roughly the same distribution:

By series: That doesn't really work because in the Series % column you can see that many of the series have just one entry.  Plus I don't want to have 10% classes.

John's Approach: John/Machspeed suggested that we do 48 - 79; 80 - 86; and 90 - 96.  But that leaves out several early and late ones, and has almost 2/3's of the entries in one class.

Gary's Approach: So, what about doing 1966 & earlier; 1967 - 1972; 1973 - 1979; 1980 - 86, & 1987 and later?  That gives a pretty even distribution and allows for very early and very late vehicles.

So, what do you think?  And PLEASE don't say "It is your show so do it however you want."  I'm asking for input as I want it to be our show, and I want it to be fair.

On top of those 5 classes I might do a few others, like children's favorite, crowd favorite, best modifications, best 4x4, or?  What are your thoughts here?  (The idea of having a children's favorite comes from one vendor giving us children's ballot.)

HELP, PLEASE!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary, it's your show, do what you want!

Kidding! I like the classes you presented and I'm totally good with it. I suspect we will have more trucks this year too and that works. I have reservations about the kids favorite though.  

So, do we have judges or will the people be voting? You said something about judges sometime back.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Pasting these here to have on this page:

Best Engine
Best Interior
Best Modifications
Best Paint
Crowd Favorite
Farthest Driven

------------------------

I am not really sold on the kids favorite either.

I like the year splits you created but feel they would only work if official judges were used. Otherwise it's too much for people off the street to keep track of.

I like the crowd voting over judges, I think.., but hey, what's the harm in trying it if there are volunteers that are willing to spend the day there?

I would need to read this thread a couple more times but I am not seeing how the 'classic' categories I listed above fit in with the scorecard. Is it a one or the other? If so, I hate to lose the classics.

I don't know how your church feels about raffles but a few shows I've gone to have entry fees that provide the entrant with X number of tickets. So rather than having a lot of trophy winners they have a few (like the classics) and then spend some time doing the raffle. Not talking big items but just things like cleaning supplies, matchbox cars, etc. Just mentioning it.

Having a hard time really nailing down a "here is my overall suggestion" since I keep going back and forth on my thoughts.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, your split is proportional to the years distribution and appears well balanced.
But you base it on 2022 show only.  Were the precedent shows similar and having same kind of year/truck participation?

I mean, is it “stable” from one year show to another, or does it vary a lot?

If stable, your table sounds good to me.
But if it varies a lot, possible that you’ll have to adjust it on the spot to re-balance it?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - The # of trucks each year is very unstable.  The 37 trucks we had last year was the most ever, with mid-20's being more normal prior to COVID.  But the # of entrants has been growing, so I'm hoping for at least that many this year - especially since I've posted about it on over 20 Facebook pages.

As for adjusting on the spot, that's not easy.  If we don't have any entrants in a category then we just won't issue that trophy and gifts.  However, we will initially allocate the gifts across the full spectrum of classes, and if we have to re-allocate then that could be a problem.

John & Scott - We don't have judges.  Obviously we could judge the Bullnose era, and Keith could on Bumps & Dents but he doesn't think he'll come.  So that basically puts us back to "the crowd".

Given that, and the comments about it being, I'm not seeing how we go with the new classes.  What am I missing?

So, what about this set of classes:

Best Engine: Crowd voted
Best Interior: Crowd voted
Best Modifications: Crowd voted
Best Paint: Crowd voted, although if we have John Keeline...
Crowd Favorite: Crowd voted
Farthest Driven: Jeff is surely gonna be the winner here @ 1500 miles  
Best Bullnose: Let's pick someone to judge this one that doesn't have a dog in the fight.  Maybe Steve Fox?  Maybe my paint/body man John Keeline?

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Jeff - The # of trucks each year is very unstable.  The 37 trucks we had last year was the most ever, with mid-20's being more normal prior to COVID.  But the # of entrants has been growing, so I'm hoping for at least that many this year - especially since I've posted about it on over 20 Facebook pages.

As for adjusting on the spot, that's not easy.  If we don't have any entrants in a category then we just won't issue that trophy and gifts.  However, we will initially allocate the gifts across the full spectrum of classes, and if we have to re-allocate then that could be a problem.

John & Scott - We don't have judges.  Obviously we could judge the Bullnose era, and Keith could on Bumps & Dents but he doesn't think he'll come.  So that basically puts us back to "the crowd".

Given that, and the comments about it being, I'm not seeing how we go with the new classes.  What am I missing?

So, what about this set of classes:

Best Engine: Crowd voted
Best Interior: Crowd voted
Best Modifications: Crowd voted
Best Paint: Crowd voted, although if we have John Keeline...
Crowd Favorite: Crowd voted
Farthest Driven: Jeff is surely gonna be the winner here @ 1500 miles  
Best Bullnose: Let's pick someone to judge this one that doesn't have a dog in the fight.  Maybe Steve Fox?  Maybe my paint/body man John Keeline?

Thoughts?
I can go with this too! However, and this is my opion only; on the crowd favorite stuff, ballots go out only to people entering trucks. One ballot only, no family members given ballots.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - Thanks for the calls today.  I think we got this worked out and here's my understanding:

Classes: 1966 & earlier; 1967 - 1972; 1973 - 1979; 1980 - 86, & 1987 and later

Trophies: One for each class and then one each for Best Engine, Best Interior, Best Modifications, Best Paint, Crowd Favorite, & Farthest Driven

Voting: Entrant only, meaning a ballot will be given to the driver of each truck and s/he will get to vote

You are going to come up with a proposal for the form we fill out on each truck, and I was to find out what vehicle ID cards I have left over.  As it turns out, I have 60 of the ones below, which are 8.5" wide and 5.5" high and are on card stock.  That should be enough.