classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

L&L Products

Gary Lewis
Administrator
L&L Products makes a wide range of things, like engine mounts, headers, traction bars, clutches & flywheels, oil pans, and accessory mounts.
How would you rate L&L Products?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: L&L Products

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Big Blue uses L&L headers.  He had a set of carb'd 460 headers on when I got him, and I went back with L&L headers when I put the EFI-headed 460 in.

The original headers hit the frame on the driver's side, and the new headers hit the frame on the passenger's side.  I didn't make any changes to make the original ones clear and just lived with the clunk.  But on the new headers I notched the frame to make them clear.  And, they only clear the ZF5 transmission by a fraction of an inch on the inside.

So that didn't make me very happy.  Nor did the length of time it took for them to finally make the headers, which only happened after several telephone calls from me.

On the other hand, the headers have a 1/2" thick flange and at least the original ones didn't warp so there were no leaks, which is why I went back with L&L's for the new engine.

Overall I give them a 3.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
We have to keep in mind L&L's raison d'etre.

460 swaps into trucks that didn't come with them.
Unique mounts, flywheels and oil adapters that allow these things to be done more easily in a Windsor based truck.

I've said before they need to make refinements to their jigs in order to avoid the problems you've pointed out.
My personal experience is that everything is solid and good quality.

I'd imagine if you were using their swap mounts (that set the engine a little higher) you wouldn't be rubbing the frame.
(I don't know what this would mean for the radiator shroud)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I am using their 460 alternator mount after removing the air pumps. 10156B
The brackets are well made although required a couple extra washers to get the belts to line up.
Support was very hard for me to reach prior to purchase although when I did get ahold of a gentleman there he was very knowledgeable about the 460 pulley setup.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm using the L&L with my 3G as well.

It did take a couple of washers or spacers but I never tried to contact them.

I ordered through JBG.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.