classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is this the rare trim???

Ford F834
Administrator
Scott, Gary, Shaun... I don’t have any pics of the regular lower molding with the insert removed, but the 1980 “bright” version is different. The center of the horizontal panel is raised and has a slight brushed texture. If you see one with the rubber strip pulled off it is flat, and has no brushed texture.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to know, Jonathan.  Thanks.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Johnathan, I can't speak for the newer style trim with the flat vinyl strip, but I can assure you that the early 1980 version was raised as well underneath the vinyl. I still happen to have a section of the molding from a 1980 Ranger Lariat, and here it is.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Interesting! I wish I had taken photos of the trim with the bump strip pulled off now. I want to say that it only had glue residue and no holes, but it has been a few years back. I wonder if the metal part changed when the dropped the “brite” option and changed the bump strip? 🤷‍♂️ I miss going to the junkyards regularly like I used to be able to do.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
It wouldn't surprise me if the newer style trim is different, my only experience is with my old 1980.

Back in 2008 when I bought my old F150, every single junkyard I went to had at least 10 bullnose trucks in it. I could pick parts for days and still have other things to pick. Now, I'm lucky if I find one bullnose and they're usually always base models.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Yeah, as I mentioned when I was looking at the jy, some had holes but some didn't. And all that I saw where the black had been removed had the same profile although none of those were the hole style.

My 86 doesn't have the holes but since the early one in the photo above does, it may be that the 80-81 black had holes and then they just kept using the 'bright' metal but with a different black insert.

Here's the profile from one on my 86.

--cant get the image added. Will try later
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Just for additional info, the early barb style with holes didn't work much better than the adhesive, I had to fix almost every piece of trim when I picked up a set for my F150 from the junkyard. Some of the barbs were completely missing, and others just weren't gripping into the vinyl as well as they used to. Why Ford didn't use small screws is beyond me.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
From an 86:
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Took this earlier this week in the jy. I like the scheme and pinstripes. And the trim is relevant

(As you can see - you pay for these trucks parts in bloody arms and hands)

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Now, I'm lucky if I find one bullnose and they're usually always base models.
Sad, isn't it. It was a depressing moment on my last trip when there were two of them in the 'to crush' pile and another had been drug out from the thorns meaning its days are numbered. Especially after you've pulled parts off them in the past.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I usually bring some type of snipping tool to take care of nature when I know I'm going to a junkyard with less than ideal landscaping.

I literally built my F150 using junkyard parts. There were more junkyard parts on that truck than original parts since I changed so many things on the truck. Now I'm struggling to find anything useful, although I have been lucky with things like my radiator support, clutch pedal assembly, and my under dash light harness.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
It wouldn't surprise me if the newer style trim is different, my only experience is with my old 1980.

Back in 2008 when I bought my old F150, every single junkyard I went to had at least 10 bullnose trucks in it. I could pick parts for days and still have other things to pick. Now, I'm lucky if I find one bullnose and they're usually always base models.
I have experienced the same thing here in SC.  10 years ago, I had my pick of at least 10 Bullnoses at the junkyard.  Today, I may find one - usually already picked clean or pilled up between other wrecks.  I guess that means that the value of our trucks are going to go up?

That early 1980 trim molding with the raised "trapezoid" style insert matches the optional rub strips found on the front and rear bumpers of the 1980 - 1986 trucks perfectly.  I wonder why Ford replaced it with the flatter style after only one year?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Just a theory, but I assume there were issues with the vinyl falling off or coming loose due to it's size. The weight of all that extra vinyl may have been too much for the barbed clips.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
“ I have experienced the same thing here in SC.  10 years ago, I had my pick of at least 10 Bullnoses at the junkyard.  Today, I may find one - usually already picked clean or pilled up between other wrecks.  I guess that means that the value of our trucks are going to go up?“

I’d say they’re being scrapped. A number of calls to jy end in disbelief after I’m told “it’s gone.”

Me: “oh, you sold it? I thought you couldn’t...

Them: “No, we crushed it.”

Me:
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Would you be willing to go back and recover that trim? I don’t need it, but I’m sure it could be cleaned up and with new 3M adhesive tape, it would be useful to someone.

I don’t know for sure, but would this chrome tape be a suitable replacement for the discolored faded cracked original?

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/en/trucks/exterior/body-mouldings/d7tz-1042430-a-plastic-chrome-moulding-rear

1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yeah, there's still a really good bullnose selection there and happy to pull any parts anyone needs for their truck.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I am looking for that lower trim with the black insert. I want to add it to my truck to add some break up when the truck is final painted white. I know it will be kind of a pain to put the brackets in, thinking I may be able to use adhesive instead of drilling panels. My back up is to use the pressure sensitive molding from 87+ as it is available.

Unbroken Pillar trim is also always a nice thing to have. There are no bullnose's in the junk yards near me.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew