Heater Control Cable/Radiator Fan Shroud

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Heater Control Cable/Radiator Fan Shroud

pugster
Hey all, 85 f-150 with the 4.9 I need a radiator fan shroud and the heater control cable (to the heater core).
Shawn
85 F-150 short bed 4x4 4.9 1bbl (I call her Patches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Heater Control Cable/Radiator Fan Shroud

Ford F834
Administrator
Hi Shawn, I don’t believe I have either of the items you seek, but there is additional info that will help find the right part.

On the cable, I assume you are referring to the one mechanically operated flap inside the HVAC box. If so, it will be necessary to know if you have factory air conditioning in your truck.

For the fan shroud, you need to know if you have the standard or extra cooling (wider) radiator.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

pugster
Yes the cable that runs to the control valve on the heater core, truck does have factory AC, it’s gutted but the system was installed. Would you know the dimensions of the extra cooling radiator.
Shawn
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For A/C trucks I believe the cable is part number E4TZ 19988-A.  Perhaps you can find a new one.

As for the shroud, here's the info from our page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Shroud Part #'s:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

pugster
e3th-18d306ac was the tag on the old cable. Not sure if that helps.
Shawn
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
pugster wrote
e3th-18d306ac was the tag on the old cable. Not sure if that helps.
pugster, when I searched using what was on your tag, this [after market] came up. Does this part look similar?

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/hvac-heater-control-cable/dorman-hvac-heater-control-cable-924-5210/544530_0_0
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Here is some interesting reading about this part:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1574138-heater-ac-part.html
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On the shroud how does the radiator bolt to the core support?
I think the early trucks had 2 rubber "U" cups at the bottom of the support the tanks sat in.
Then up top also had 2  rubber "U" cups in a bracket that used 2 bolts and a support bracket over the top and bolts to the upper core support.

I think the later trucks had a different radiator where the tanks had2 bolt holes on the sides that bolted to the core support.
I say this based on what I found between the 2 1981 trucks, mine had the later radiator held in with wire and 1 bolt as the core support was for the early "U" cup brackets.
My parts truck had the right radiator but the PO lost the brackets when he pulled the motor to sell.

I also did not have a shroud. My truck being a non-AC truck would not of had one just a little "shroud" over the top of the fan so you would not put your hand in it.
Parts truck did have AC but come time to get the cooling system together I could not find it or I never got it with the truck?

Now if you look up a 4.9 fan shroud on LMC you need a part number and how do you get that when you have none!
I did a lot of looking at other sites for parts and what Gary posted above for the core size to come up with the one I have but I had to mod it to fit but not a hard job.

Now that I think of it the 2 different types of radiator mounting may not be an issue.
I say this because I think mine was for a 90's truck with a 4.9 as the size was right and think the mounting would work at the time.
The mod was I needed to trim a 1/4" off each side to the shroud would sit flush on the radiator and then all the mounting points lined up like factory.

I have pictures on my web site and think in my build thread posted where I got it from, DC or NPD?
I can get the part number off the box, I bought 2, they were dirt cheap, thinking I could cut and plastic weld them together to make it work but did not need to so I got a spare for the next project.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkThomas
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Heater Blend Door

I have the same situation with my blend door cable.  The number marked on the cable is E3TH 18D306AC.  If anyone has verified the E4TZ 19988-A is a direct replacement that would be helpful.
1986 F250HD 4x4
5.0L EFI, NP435
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
The E4TZ cable is posted up in the ebay/ craigs list section of this site. Just a heads up.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by MarkThomas
Scratch that, the E4TZ number is for factory installed AC and from your pictures, you dont have AC
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC