HVAC blower motor R&R - as easy as it looks?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

HVAC blower motor R&R - as easy as it looks?

RenoHuskerDu
Welp, wunchaknow, it happens when a cold wave hits. Went to start up the Bullnose for wifey and the blower motor has a bearing squeal. She'll have to take the Bricknose to town, which consumes nearly twice the diesel given its C6. I put a ZF5 in our Bullnose....up to 20mpg.

So I glanced under the hood to see if there's a spot to lubricate the blower motor shaft. Not.  But that motor looks like a piece of cake to replace. Just a few bolts around its housing.

Is there a gotcha?  Or do I just unbolt that critter as easy as it looks? Then I can lube it up good in a heated garage, heh heh. Buy a few months that way.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: HVAC blower motor R&R - as easy as it looks?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is that easy.  But, when I got Dad's truck the front bearing was drilled and he'd lubed it.  Solved the problem.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: HVAC blower motor R&R - as easy as it looks?

RenoHuskerDu
Drilling and lubing is exactly what I did on my Dentside "Puddles 1" and on several old Volvo 240s. Volvo parts were of course prohibitively expensive for me at the time, working towards my degree and living on potato sandwiches.

I think I'll try that first. Potato sandwiches could come back in style any day now, given our (political comment self-censored).
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.