HEI install help please

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

HEI install help please

JG2020
Hi everyone, finally getting around to this.
Removed all the spark plugs.
Took off dizzy cap
I turned the motor to TDC on # 1 with the rotor pointing to the number 1 plug wire on the dizzy.
I removed the distributor but the whole shaft came out with it ?

This is what I have. Any help appreciated !

Josh G
1984 F-150 Inline-Six 300
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: HEI install help please

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not certain about the innards of a 300 engine, but in all the V-8's there is a collar (push washer) that installs below the boss in the block and retains the oil pump shaft.

I imagine you could stick it in your new distributor with something resilient (like RTV) at the same depth it is now, and put it back in when cured.

At least you wouldn't lose the shaft, and you won't have to try and get engaged while it's sitting over in the side of the distributor bore.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
The oil pump drive shaft should pull out of the old distributor and click into the replacement distributor. Make sure it clicks and the pull gently to make sure it will not fall out as you install the new distributor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
It might need quite a bit of force, mine did...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
So David, on the 300 it stays with the dizzy?

That's cool!

I guess given that it is so much lower in the block the shaft is fairly easy to engage in the pump rotor?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
ArdWrknTrk wrote
So David, on the 300 it stays with the dizzy?

That's cool!

I guess given that it is so much lower in the block the shaft is fairly easy to engage in the pump rotor?
I guess you could say fairly easy... Fairly being a relative term. I've had to turn the engine over every time to get the dizzy to drop, normally resulting in it not dropping where I wanted it(timing wise) and having to do it again...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sometimes, just slightly twisting the distributor, the shaft will go right back in place.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
I managed it once David, but I was only putting it in to check the clearance of the base(without lining up the rotor any particular place), so it had to come out again anyway...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Ok, thanks! I will try and pop it out of the old one.
I will come back with a report of success hopefully.
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
New plugs are gapped at . 050 and installed. HEI is installed hopefully close to correct timing. Oil pump shaft took a very hard y
ank and it released so thanks for that tip!

Now I need to find a power source for the pos. wire off the dizzy . Does the vacuum advance need to go anywhere special or just a like size port on the vacuum tree ?

Thanks again !

Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary will be able to assist with the 12V wire. You will benefit from using a relay.

Find a ported vacuum port on the carburetor. At idle speed, there should be no vacuum and as soon as the throttle plate is opened, vacuum will be present.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
On most trucks there's an unused heavy yellow wire under the brake master cylinder, or in that area, that is hot at all times.  And you can tap a wire that is hot in Run to pull the relay in.  For instance the white/light blue that goes to the ignition will work.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks! In trying to research some more it looks like I can get a relay or use the wire that went to the old coil?   Does that sound correct?

Hope I get it running before alt. side of the street parking for the street sweeper next Monday!

Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I did all this recently.

I went with a heavy duty headlight wiring harness with relay from Rural King. Tractor supply has them too.

You have to run the 12v to the dizzy from the relay. Run the "key on" signal from a wire near the starter solenoid on the passenger inner fender. Hook the other 12v source to the dizzy directly to the positive post on the battery. Run your 12v wire through radiator support over to drivers headlight harness and wrap it into that harness. Then run your 12v switched wire to dizzy.

I put the vacuum advance towards the rear of the engine.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by JG2020
JG2020 wrote
Thanks! In trying to research some more it looks like I can get a relay or use the wire that went to the old coil?   Does that sound correct?
I hope this link will work.

https://fordsix.com/ci/DUIinstall.html
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Awesome. Thanks for the detailed response!
I have a tractor supply by me also.
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

JG2020
Thanks for that link. Work fine.
Josh G
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
The headlight harness is $20-$$30 I think. It gives you 2 circuits, because it is designed as a headlight harness. So I ran both circuits over to the drivers side. So I have a spare switched 12v circuit over there for any future accessories, or as a redundant circuit for the dizzy should the first circuit fail for some reason.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
https://www.ruralking.com/heavy-duty-light-wiring-harness?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=210400579&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhb36BRCfARIsAKcXh6HFYGIP1Fn9az0_Sl-Ti_fViPGp7ZOteJZtuXkj6OOgp_AiuYoYsrwaArQSEALw_wcB

This is what I used.

One of the wires from the toggle switch is your signal wire to run to your switched 12v source, it will engage the relay.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A relay is required for it to run properly. There is no switched power feed on a Bullnose that will provide the needed current. And certainly not the wire to the old coil.

But, that wire can be used to pull in a relay.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI