classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greetings from NC

PistolPete
Hi all!

I have a 1986 F-150 inline 6, long bed. My truck has a modified duraspark conversion, done prior to my purchase.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greetings from NC

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Pete!  Glad you joined.  

I guess if you live in NC then you aren't the Pistol Pete of Oklahoma State fame?

As for the truck, by "modified duraspark conversion" do you mean that someone removed what was surely a feedback carb and EEC-III system and put a DS-II system in its place?  That is a very common retrofit, and I've done it myself with great effect.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by PistolPete
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Pete!  

Glad you've joined us.
Surprisingly, Gary hasn't asked you if you'd like to be on our members map?
Just a zip code or township is as close a location needed.
We seem to have a flourishing NC chapter!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
welcome from NC
Reply | Threaded
|

PistolPete
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the welcome. So the PO pulled out the feedback carb and the EEC but did not install a DSII module. So I just have a punch of cut wires on the drivers side.

Currently my truck runs, but when I do try to start it and turn the key to ignition I lose voltage. I have to feather the ignition to get it to start. My neighbor and I are trying to figure out the problem and we found the 9volt wire thats connected to nothing. My starter solenoid just has a 12volt wire connected to "S" but nothing connect to "I".

I am joining this group to try to get help on how to fix the electrical ghost in my truck. Let me know if I should just post a new question in the appropriate forum!
Reply | Threaded
|

PistolPete
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Hi @ArdWrknTrk

Im in 27405. Thanks for the welcome!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, if you are near O Henry Oaks you are on the map.

Second, there's something missing in your description.  The ECU is what fires the ignition in the EEC-III system.  So if the ECU has been pulled w/o something else being put in its place it shouldn't run.

The typical thing to do is to buy a blue-grommet DS-II module and the DS-II distributor for your truck.  They'll plug into the harness, unless it has been butchered, and you'll have a non-computer controlled ignition system.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI