classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Grease Gun

BigBrother-84
Charline15 wrote
There are effective degreasers that can break down and remove grease from different surfaces, making cleaning easier before using a new grease gun.
You're right Chantal, working with a clean gun (and any tool, in fact) is much more pleasant.
But I have to admit that, even clean, this tool I my most detestable one.

Since I use it 3-4 times a year on my little Kubota tractor, I don't clean it too often and tolerate it dirty as it is.

By the way, what's a good frequency for greasing a Bullnose?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Since I change my own oil I try to give the drive line and front steering/suspension a shot of grease while the pan is draining.
I generally run semi synthetic diesel oil and OCI of 5k.(miles)

Though I am about ready to swap out the Motul 8100 that Amazon recommended as a deal.

ETA: It's a "while I'm there" kind of thing, and probably every 6 months is closer to the factory service
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Jeff - I think the frequency depends on many things.  Obviously one would be mileage, and the 85 owners manual says do that every 7,500 miles for steering linkage and driveline.  But another thing is driving conditions, as the manual also says to do lube every 1,000 miles if you drive in water or mud.

Another would be the type of grease you use.  What I've been using previously had been separating in the vehicle and dripping a bit after usage.  But the stuff I got with the Lube Shuttle doesn't do that, so I think it'll be good for longer.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Another would be the type of grease you use.  What I've been using previously had been separating in the vehicle and dripping a bit after usage.  But the stuff I got with the Lube Shuttle doesn't do that, so I think it'll be good for longer.
In the vehicle???    or in the gun?

Definitely be conscious of what grease you use where. Like you never want to use EP moly grease in something like a driveshaft where it will pack up into flakes and leave the joint starved for lubrication.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
In the vehicle???    or in the gun?
Both.  Made a huge mess on the shelf and a bit of a mess under the truck.  That grease, whatever it was, was the worst.  But all the greases I've used have separated over time in the gun.  The stuff from Lube Shuttle hasn't, so far.  And it has been almost a year.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Both.  Made a huge mess on the shelf and a bit of a mess under the truck.
Before living for Big Brother's Big Tour, I generously lubed the direction and driveshaft.
As result, the driveshaft spread a nice ring of grease under the truck body, exhaust pipe, and on floor, at the first start.
Maybe I was too enthusiastic with the grease gun.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.