classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Glove Box Light

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Our member Matt Wood, from the UK, has asked me for pics of the glove box light.  Turns out that one of the screws holding the light in Big Blue is stripped such that it won't back out, so I did my best w/o fully removing it.  But if more pics are needed please let me know.

And, do y'all think this needs to be on a page in Documentation/Electrical?  Easy enough to do, so....

First, here's the glove box latch, w/o switch:

Then here's a shot from the left front:

Right front:

And from the rear:

And, to complete the documentation, here's the wiring schematic:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Glove Box Light

Matt Wood
Hi Gary, thanks for the brilliant photos, it a lot more involved than i first thought (completely different latch ASSY), i have the wiring for it so may look online for a factory ASSY. Could you let me know what the part number is please if its not too much trouble.

Failing finding a factory ASSY then i will splice the factory harness into a T10 holder and make my own.

As for adding this to the site, it may be a good idea seeing as you've gone to the trouble of taking the pictures already if it doesn't take too long then might as well.

Thanks

Matt
'Shelby' - 1985 bronco XLT, 351W C6, Limited slip 9 inch
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - Looks like the switch comes with the wiring.  Here's the part number:

And here's the only illustration for it in the master parts catalog:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
So from my research, i have found a few of NOS ones on ebay! relatively cheap even after shipping (£23!) they don't appear to have the wiring included as i think the wiring is standard for every loom its just a matter of Ford changing the latch ASSY at the factory, i found (what i believe to be the wiring for it) tucked up behind the radio. ill take some pictures tomorrow of the connector i have found so that i can confirm the findings for others to use if they would like.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good news, Matt!  Please keep us apprised.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Matt - Looks like the switch comes with the wiring.
But it looks like the wiring plugs into the light assy.
So would the wiring be part of the main trucks harness like the clock wiring so all you have to do is get the assy. be it glove box light / switch or the clock and just plug it in?

At this time I don't feel the need for a glove box light but just wanted to know how it gets its power.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think Matt is saying he thinks the trucks come with the wiring and the switch/light combo just plugs into it.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The glove box light is part of the light group option. The plug for the light is in the light group harness, and that harness plugs into the connector behind the radio bezel. If one were to only seek the glove box lamp, they could pull the power from that connector behind the radio bezel.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
salans7 wrote
The glove box light is part of the light group option. The plug for the light is in the light group harness, and that harness plugs into the connector behind the radio bezel. If one were to only seek the glove box lamp, they could pull the power from that connector behind the radio bezel.
Thanks with all the dash work / wiring I have done I don't think I have the light harness.
Again for me not a big deal as I have a working dome light and I am happy with just that.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
In reply to this post by salans7
after further inspection you are correct! I dont know what i was looking at when i thought i saw the connector but i was very much mistaken, I dont have the light group and thus dont have the harness for the glove box light. i will likely get a light and modify it (as i dont have a connector that will fit) and try to make that work
Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary, would it be too much to ask for a picture of the inside of that connector? (the one with the green and black wires) provided of course that it wont break when you try and remove it! i know how fragile most of the plastics are in these truck after all these years. I'm going to see if it is used elsewhere in the truck, i may be able to swap a connector elsewhere and retain the connector on the light without the need to butcher it
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt Wood wrote
Hi Gary, would it be too much to ask for a picture of the inside of that connector? (the one with the green and black wires) provided of course that it wont break when you try and remove it! i know how fragile most of the plastics are in these truck after all these years. I'm going to see if it is used elsewhere in the truck, i may be able to swap a connector elsewhere and retain the connector on the light without the need to butcher it
Matt - I'll see what I can do tomorrow for pics.  I might even get that reluctant thing out of there and figure out why it doesn't work, despite having a new bulb.

Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
thanks! let me know how it goes
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, that screw just does NOT want to come out.  But I was easily able to disconnect the wire and take some pics.  Does this help?  Any other pics needed?

Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
Thanks for taking the time to take those photos for me, from your pictures I think I have found my solution.... i believe that is the same connector as the clutch position jumper for the speed control (C755) which i have pictured below, could you measure your connector so i can confirm, if they are the same then i can use my C755 jumper as i had to remove it to allow me to have the separate turn signals at the back that are required here in the UK, i may revisit the lighting situation at some point to try and retain this jumper because without it my speed control doesn't work. But i don't think our roads are big enough for me to feel safe using the speed control in this big truck so its not a top priority lol

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - Let's see if this answers the question.  

And, just in case, I did take a couple of other pics.  You see, Big Blue has a clutch so his connector isn't a jumper.

Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
thanks, that does indeed answer my question  do you know if anywhere reproduces that connector / jumper? if not ill go with my original plan of using the one i have and then re making the connector at a later stage
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - I've had Ford's Wiring Pigtail Kits Identification Guide digitally for some time but just decided to put it on the side.  Maybe you can find the connector in it.  Hope so as I don't have another source.  Please let me know what you find.

Documentation/Electrical/Connectors

Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
Hi Gary, ive had a good look through and there is only one connector that is similar (it has the nub on the top rather than the side, however i have found in my pile of old harness a matching connector from the emissions system! so all is well! i will order one of those glove box lights as soon as the flights resume...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good deal, Matt!