classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Front Suspension and steering Upgrades

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, by the way, I don't recommend reman'd boxes.  I got lucky, but a lot of guys haven't.  There's a spot in the front of the cast iron box which is used as a bushing for the shaft.  But it wears, and remanufacturers don't replace it.  They just check for how badly it is worn and if it is past their acceptable limit then they use it.

Instead, I'd recommend a box that has been bored out and a bearing put in to replace the worn spot.  But I only know of two outfits do that: Redhead and Bluetop.  However the rumor is that Redhead got too big for its britches and their product and customer service went south.  So one of the guys split off and started Bluetop, which has good reviews.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 66gtk
66gtk wrote
Basically, this truck is now put together with steering and suspension as new again.  I do not like the way it handles and how light the steering is.  Without anything left to fix/replace I guess this is just how these trucks are supposed to be?  
I didn't see it in your list of items, but are you still running the stock "suggestion box"...I mean steering box?

What size/profile tires are you running?

I've done pretty much the same with my 1984 short wheel base. New everything...and I mean everything.
However, with the stock steering box, these trucks just wander...that's kind of how they go. I installed a RedHead steering box, and it made a big improvement, but it's still not tight as rack and pinion or anything.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
This post was updated on .
I'm not aware of any work performed to my steering box, which is stock.  I am not aware of any adjustments that are available either?  If there is a way to adjust it, I could use some directions on that (:

I'm running Cooper Evolution 235/75r15

Here's Ella going 60 MPH down the highway going straight.  She was doing much better by this point (:

Ella Driving
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The adjustment is the screw sticking out the top with a nut around it.  BUT, it is not meant to be adjusted in the field.  It was set at the factory and is not supposed to be touched.  However, if you mark where the adjustment is, precisely, so you can get back to it you can see what you think.

But only go in really small increments.  In my case 1/16th of a turn was enough to make a big difference.  And then I put it back.  The box was worn such that I either had slop or no feel, and there wasn't anything in between.

And, if you go too far you can crack the box.  But take it easy and see what you think.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
sounds like I'll just leave it alone (:
I've gotten used to it and like all good drivers need to simply know my vehicle's limitations and drive it according to the conditions.  Remember when we used to all know how to do that?  All these modern vehicle nanny controls have created a new generation of people who don't know how to drive.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 66gtk
66gtk wrote
I'm not aware of any work performed to my steering box, which is stock.  I am not aware of any adjustments that are available either?  If there is a way to adjust it, I could use some directions on that (:

Ok, 235 75's are totally fine. I was just curious if you were running wide/low profile tires on the front like I am. They actually make the problem worse as the wider tires track with the road more.

There is an adjustment procedure for the steering box, and it's very simple. I did it to mine originally, and it felt a little better, briefly, but then got loose again. I installed two new reman boxes before finally buying a RedHead box. I actually wanted the BlueTop box, but every time they had a sale on, they had no stock on the Ford boxes, and RedHead did, so that is all that drove my decision. I might try a BlueTop in the future.

They do make a noticeable difference.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
The Ford trucks I’ve had have been long wheelbases. My 86 drives nice. But I may just be driving like 66gtk said, know your vehicle.

But my Bronco is a different story. If I haven’t driven it for awhile it gets my attention. I always considered it aptly named. Very short wheelbase.

I think Ella did a great job. On teaching my three kids to drive the youngest scared me! Until we bought her a smaller vehicle. She was getting the hang of the Bronco though.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
66gtk wrote

Ok, 235 75's are totally fine. I was just curious if you were running wide/low profile tires on the front like I am. They actually make the problem worse as the wider tires track with the road more.

There is an adjustment procedure for the steering box, and it's very simple. I did it to mine originally, and it felt a little better, briefly, but then got loose again. I installed two new reman boxes before finally buying a RedHead box. I actually wanted the BlueTop box, but every time they had a sale on, they had no stock on the Ford boxes, and RedHead did, so that is all that drove my decision. I might try a BlueTop in the future.

They do make a noticeable difference.
Interesting, I had a different experience. On my 2wd short box, I had 275/60/15 Cooper Cobras all the way around, 2" wheel spacers, and a completely rebuilt (minus steering box/shaft) front end including a Skyjacker stablizer, and the thing would take corners at 80 mph like nobodies business, without so much as a squeeling tire. I was confident enough that I actually took it out on Watkins Glen.

I probably shouldn't have been driving that fast, but damn was I impressed for an old truck.

As parts wore out and miles got put on, I definitely noticed loss of frame rigidity believe it or not, but some reinforcement in areas made the thing drive like new again.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Angelo Voltura wrote
Interesting, I had a different experience. On my 2wd short box, I had 275/60/15 Cooper Cobras all the way around, 2" wheel spacers, and a completely rebuilt (minus steering box/shaft) front end including a Skyjacker stablizer, and the thing would take corners at 80 mph like nobodies business, without so much as a squeeling tire. I was confident enough that I actually took it out on Watkins Glen.
I need to clarify my comments a bit, because we're probably on the same page. I'm also running 275/60/15 Copper Cobras all around, but our roads are worse than yours, and with the ruts in the asphalt, the wide 60's series tires track with the ruts badly...so on that kind of road (which we have a lot of) the steering wanders quite a bit. When I was running the truck with the stock small tires, it wasn't nearly as bad. My old man's Infiniti and my wife's Lexus are the same...winter tires no problem. Throw the low pro summer tires and wheels back on, and they're tracking all over the place. On smooth flat asphalt, they all track straight and smooth.

The tighter RedHead box eliminated a lot of the wander, but the truck still tracks with the road (ruts) a bit. If I threw a set of 235/75/15's on it, it would probably drive perfectly.

Mine handles corners pretty well. One thing with those Ford steering boxes is that most of the slop is when driving straight. Throw them into a turn, and that is where the boxes are still nice and tight. We have some pretty twisty roads around here, and I must say, my steering is solid while turning. Driving straight down the road though...it still does wander a little bit.

Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
Rembrant wrote
Angelo Voltura wrote
I need to clarify my comments a bit, because we're probably on the same page. I'm also running 275/60/15 Copper Cobras all around, but our roads are worse than yours, and with the ruts in the asphalt, the wide 60's series tires track with the ruts badly...so on that kind of road (which we have a lot of) the steering wanders quite a bit. When I was running the truck with the stock small tires, it wasn't nearly as bad. My old man's Infiniti and my wife's Lexus are the same...winter tires no problem. Throw the low pro summer tires and wheels back on, and they're tracking all over the place. On smooth flat asphalt, they all track straight and smooth.

The tighter RedHead box eliminated a lot of the wander, but the truck still tracks with the road (ruts) a bit. If I threw a set of 235/75/15's on it, it would probably drive perfectly.

Mine handles corners pretty well. One thing with those Ford steering boxes is that most of the slop is when driving straight. Throw them into a turn, and that is where the boxes are still nice and tight. We have some pretty twisty roads around here, and I must say, my steering is solid while turning. Driving straight down the road though...it still does wander a little bit.
Yes I do remember them having some bump steer going on that did improve with smaller tires, at one point I was even running 7.0-15 bias plys. I have looked into a redhead/bluetop box as well but that truck isn't worth putting that money into anymore.

Every truck I've ever had wandered in a straight line, eventually I just got so used to it that driving a brand new car made me drive all over the road.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I run stock sized [215/75 X 15] tires and have found that by running about 3 PSI less in the rear, the truck handles and rides the best. Normally, I set the tires @ 35 PSI in front and 32 PSI in back.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a good point, David.  Air pressure can make a big difference regarding following ruts.

The issue is where the tire is making its main contact with the pavement.  If you have the air pressure set where the tire is hitting the pavement with equal pressure across the tire then the edges may try to follow the ruts.  But if you increase the air pressure just a bit there will be more pressure in the center of the tread and less on the edges, and less tendency to "hunt".