Front Bumper Adjustment

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Front Bumper Adjustment

LARIAT 85
My front bumper is off just enough to bug me.  Most people don't notice, but I do, and I want to get it perfect.  One side is pushed in (or pulled out) just a little more than the other side.

I can see that the front bumper is bolted to the frame horns with four threaded bolts.  What is the best way to go about *slightly* adjusting the fore and aft position of the bumper?  Is this something I can do by myself?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Front Bumper Adjustment

1986F150Six
Administrator
Washers?
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Really?  Is that how you adjust the bumper?

I was thinking there was a bit more to it than that.

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
Washers?
Yes, that was going to be my suggestion as well.  And I think you can easily do it yourself by:

Loosening all the nuts on the side that needs to be shimmed, but not on the other side as that may cause your bumper to tilt.

Removing one nut & bolt entirely

Pulling the bumper forward enough to slip one or more washers between it and the frame.  I think I'd do the bolt that is horizontal first as the amount of washers needed will be more obvious with it.

Put that bolt through and put the nut on

Repeat for the other bolt(s)
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
I will try that.

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
LARIAT 85 wrote
What is the best way to go about *slightly* adjusting the fore and aft position of the bumper?
A landscape timber, or other long beam...  This shows how I straightened the bumpers on my dually:

You might be able to simply use it as a long prybar (between the bumper & tire) to bend the bumper forward.
LARIAT 85 wrote
Is this something I can do by myself?
IDK - is that something you can do by yourself?
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Thanks, Steve.  But the bumper itself is not bent.  

When I asked if it is something I can do "myself," I meant can ONE MAN with ONE SET OF HANDS do this.  The bumper is pretty heavy and awkward.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
I know.  But only you can answer what YOU can do.  I do virtually all my own work, including cutting vehicles apart & loading them by hand onto trailers.  So yes; it CAN be done by one person.  So can playing a piano, but I can't do that.

The stock front bumper is probably >40 lbs, and only 74" wide.  Is that something you can handle?  If not: do you have a ratchet strap, floor jack, engine hoist, or some cardboard boxes to put under it?
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
LARIAT 85 wrote

When I asked if it is something I can do "myself," I meant can ONE MAN with ONE SET OF HANDS do this.  The bumper is pretty heavy and awkward.
It can be done by yourself as I have put it on and off many times when customizing both the front & rear.

Now if you loosen 1 side, I think you will need to loosen both sides, and pull it out to stick the washer(s) between bumper & frame the other side will move in and could hit the body and scratch & dent it so be careful.
Dave ----

ps: the bumper was just placed on the truck along with the grille & head light doors.
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
LARIAT 85 wrote

If you have a floor jack, balance the bumper on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
I am so with you on this!  Mine has been bugging me for years but my nuts are rusted on.  Probably have to spray some PB Blaster on them and try to adjust this someday.  IMO, my truck looks a little droopy on the passenger side.  I think it happened when I hit the trailer a couple years ago.  

I never thought of the idea of using a jack to hold it up after loosening.  Sometimes the simplest idea eludes me.

1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For your rusted nuts - Rust-eze Medicated Bumper Ointment

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
For your rusted nuts - Rust-eze Medicated Bumper Ointment

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For those living under a rock, all of this comes from the movie Cars.  In the first movie Rust-eze is owned by "Clink and Clank", who are none other than Click & Clack the Tappet Brothers, whose real life names are/were Tom and Ray Magliozzi.  They not only were the inspiration for Clink and Clank, but were the voices for them as well.

If you haven't ever listened to an episode of Car Talk you haven't lived.  Their wit as well as their humor was wonderful.  And, they could also solve automotive problems as well.  (Wouldn't it be neat to have a forum like that?  )

Here's the Rust-eze Pledge from the movie, and was surely written by Tom and/or Ray:

"Get speedy, soothing, wonderful relief from the pain and discomfort of rust. Fast-acting Rust-eze contains up to 2 1/2 more Eze for quick soothing relief. We promise."
—Clink and Clank